Saturday, June 18, 2011

4 Color Fantasies - Green Lantern

This shirt was from another "private screening". The movie was Green Lantern and I had been waiting a long time to see it.
I haven't actually been to the movies that much this year. I tried to make a New Year's resolution to not spend as much money frivolously, going to movies was the first casualty. I make an exception for these events though. A "local" comic book store -in Rancho Cucamonga- has events where they rent out a movie theater and then sell tickets to regular customers at a premium. With your ticket comes a comic, candy, raffle ticket, shirt and a pin. That was the only way to get one of these shirts and you would only be able to get one now if you could snag one from the store owner -which probably wouldn't be too hard-.
The benefit of getting your tickets early is that you get to reserve your shirt size. I was able to pick out a medium but ended up getting a small since I didn't check it when it was handed to me. It's cool though because smalls look very slimming on me. The shirt does look weird on me in this pose though, I don't know if it's my out of shape form or the way it hangs but there's just something off. They only use one color for the screening job but it makes sense in this case being the Green Lantern an all. I would like to note the irony of the company's name being "4color Fantasies" and only using one color. So far so good on the ink keeping together but you can tell they tried to make the cost as low as possible, that means it'll probably deteriorate quickly.
Just like the Thor shirt, on the front right it has all of the store's info: "4color Fantasies - Comics, Card Games, Pop Culture - Rancho Cucamonga 909-563-8751". This is more information than I have had on almost any other shirt. It's good to see somebody really getting their advertising dollar's worth, albeit in an uninteresting fashion. The back design for this movie is way cooler than the Thor illustration. I hope that whoever did that one got a stern education on preproduction for screen printing. The graphic is the silhouette of Hal Jordan, Green Lantern, with a mask holding up his ring of power radiating energy. They couldn't avoid cutting off the light lines at the end of the screen printing frame, it looks a bit tacky. Inside the character is the information about the screening: "Private Screening - Green Lantern 06-16-11". At the bottom are all of the sponsors of the event "4Color Fantasies, Regal Entertainment Group, Coca-Cola". It is really cool of the cinema to rent out their theaters to a bunch of nerds so they can watch their movies in peace. With a "private screening" like this you get the best crowd to watch a real fan service filled movie; they cheer at all the right scenes, laugh at the key winks to the hardcore readers, and always wait until the credits are over to see what secrets are in store.
I followed the same method that I did with the Thor shirt, wearing just after the film. There are two, maybe three opportunities when this shirt will best speak its message: the days/weeks following the release, the short time when the DVD/BluRay is released and -if you're lucky- when the sequel releases! When this shirt is in its "off season" talking about 4Color Fantasies or this movie will probably be the main topic of discussion. Obviously the main reason for this shirt is to talk about what I thought this 2011 movie was like in intricate detail.

I was waiting for a live action adaptation of Green Lantern ever since I started reading the comics. There have been many animated series and stories leading up to this film. On the way to the theater I got to tell the tale of the Corps, their origin, their powers and their limitations. I loved the action sequences and the special effects -though they didn't represent the particle effects that were shown in the cartoons or the comics-. There was like this tacked on love story that I was really hoping would get skipped; if the author had dedicated this many romantic pages to a comic it would have to have the title changed to Green Lantern: Love's Light or something. After watching the animated movie that came out at the same time entitled "Emerald Knights" I realized that there are many subtleties of the characters, trappings, and traditions that they consciously made decisions to stray from all of this in favor of their casual audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment