Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Dragon Nest


This shirt was given to me on the second day of E3 2011. It seems that all the shirts I got were from that day.
The only way to get one of these was to wait in line for a while and then play Nexon's new game "Dragon Nest". Moke, Jared, Ron and I waited in line to get a try. Once we finished the short dungeon they moved us over to a table where they asked what size we wanted and also gave us a raffle ticket. If we came back to the booth later in the day we could have won stuff but we never got around to it. They had another game, Vindictus, which I had played last year at E3 and Comic-Con so I skipped it in order to play this.
When I saw these shirts on other people I really wanted to get one. Upon closer examination the fabric itself is pretty thin, because of this the ink is a bit raised and you can feel it if you rub your had across it. Graphic tees of the last decade or so have been high contrast and very few colors, usually white on black. This is a welcome change and a trend that I am really looking forward to lots of bright tones in the future. Many vibrant colors adorn this design and while the tribal shapes do have a stark contrast against the background there is more to be seen in the details. If you look closely in the multicolored hues there are pictures of characters as well. Since the shirt is so light and the ink is so delicate I'd bet that it all will crack and wash away pretty quick. Overall though, this is one of my new favorite shirts, they even had one in my size -medium-.
On the front are a whole bunch of wicked flourishes and curves in all sorts of colors, violet, turquoise, yellow, orange and light red. I didn't notice until after I took the picture today that all of the shapes make out the head of a dragon breathing fire. The picture that is in the fire is a crazy looking goblin on the right and a poised sword on the left. I cant quite make out what is in the dragon's head but it's some sort of army or a big ass blue dragon -which would make more sense-. All of this is concept art lifted from the game. On the back it just the title and logo for the game "Dragon Nest" in a metallic grey color. The real logo has colored gems going along the side but hopefully no one's paying that much attention anyway. The game itself is pretty cool from what we were able to play. We each got a basic class: sorcerer, warrior, and archer then fought our way though spiders, golems, snakes and traps to defeat a boss and get the treasure. I definitely like it way more than Vindictus and I adore the character designs for the girls, but I don't see myself playing it -even though we got beta access-.
When I saw someone else with this shirt I didn't know what it was for but I just followed the stream of people wearing Nexon shirts till I found it. It seemed to work as advertising but I feel that wearing a shirt that you got from the con at the con is lame. You increase the chances of other people wearing the same thing several fold and there is no mystery or uniqueness to you wearing it. The only time that I could see it would be if it was super hard to get. For example the Portal 2 shirts last year were only given out in special meetings with Valve, I was super jealous of those shirt wearers. I think this will end up in my regular shirt lineup from now on -at least until it breaks down and becomes unwearable-.

Today was an average day for this shirt. There weren't any people who straight up knew the game or where the shirt was from -or didn't say anything-. But I did have a few people say that it was cool and asked about its origin. I brushed it off or said that it was a new MMORPG casually however because I'm not very invested in Dragon Nest. Since I'm not planning on playing it and I know it won't be the next big thing my reviews are mainly average to negative to anyone I talk to about it. Too bad for Nexon, maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment