Friday, June 3, 2011

Total Chaos


Hahahah I don't know where this shirt is from.
Straight up. I don't know, there's no where I could go to look, there's no one I could ask. Now, I did go do a Google search to see if I could buy it online and that led me to two sites. One was a dead end with a picture of the shirt. The other is a band named "Total Chaos". Apparently they're a punk band from Pomona California. Ah Ha! My sister used to manage events in Pomona so I'm going to assume that she got this and sent it down to us, or that we picked it up at her house at some point. OR my brother Lars got it when he was covering bands as a photographer for a while, either would be very cool. I wasn't able to find this shirt from the band's website but they definitely have some hardcore shirts.
I don't have many funny gag shirts this will fit nicely in that category. Printing on white makes the colors brighter and last longer. It's cheaper and simpler to boot. I also don't seem to have very many music or band shirts: Ellegarden, Captain Eo, More Friends, and my tons of Hard Rock Cafe ones are about it. Though only one of those is actually a band the others are more just associated with music rather than a tour shirt. The tee is a large so it was probably a second thought to give it to me or this was the only size they came in.
On the front is a fake pocket on the left hand side, like some of my other shirts. On the "hem" of the pocket it has a "patch" that reads "TOTAL CHAOS" which I found out is the name of a hardcore punk rock band. Umm.. also the shirt has a bunch of iguanas or lizards or something on it. They are crawling around on the shirt as if they had just emerged out of the pocket. There are green scratch marks all over where they were walking too... I don't quite understand what lizards have to do with music or punk rock or anything -that's why I'm not 100% sure this is even a band tee-. So I'm going under the impression that the iguanas represent disorder or anarchy or something completely random, "total chaos" right? Otherwise this is just a generic "nature" graphic tee -and that's like waaay less cool-.
Iguanas are a harmless animal that won't set off too many alarms or attract too much attention. Gimmicky visual trick shirts went out of style a really long time ago and are now reserved for bad souvenir tshirts from your grandparent's trips south of the border.  I suppose that this would be good to wear down at a local concert venue or while shopping for vinyl. It's a tricky situation though because if someone were to genuinely get the reference they would have to be a serious metal head or whatever and I am not dressed for the part -mohawk, plugs, piercings, etc.-. So, my best chance would be getting passed over as a hipster wannabe and the worst would be getting destroyed by some hardcore punk rockers who's band I was misrepresenting.

When I put this shirt on this morning I looked in the mirror and was absolutely baffled. I don't remember this shirt and to be honest, it's particularly absurd on the surface. Best case scenario here is wearing it out drinking as a "wacky" shirt that "dudes" wear. All in all, I hope that this isn't an extremely rare "Total Chaos" tour shirt from a long time ago that is going to waste in some suburban kid's dresser.

No comments:

Post a Comment