Saturday, June 11, 2011

Konami

I got this shirt last Wednesday, on the second day of E3 2011.
It was from the Konami booth -duh right?-. I had no idea what their policy was for handing them out. Usually they have a promotion or a specific time or even something that you have to do before they'll give out a free shirt. But we just walked up there, they asked what size we wanted and then gave us a shirt. Due to what it says on the back they should have made us follow them on Twitter so they could at least track their return on investment or something.
This grey is slightly different than the other greys I have. The color is just a bit darker than the others which are more white with a black speckles. I know it's shallow but when I went to E3 I wanted to grab as much swag as I could find. I like the challenge of the hunt and the rarity of the items. You tend to trap yourself though; ending up at the booths that have awesome swag but mediocre content. They SAID that they were going to bring out some medium shirts but they only had larges, extra larges, and smalls. I didn't want too big so I settled for small. Small shirts usually make me look good, I just have to keep pulling them down if they get above my waist. Konami also had the same shirt but with the words on the back in Spanish, that seemed really random and out of character so I opted for the English version.
The gimmick of this shirt is a social networking parody, blatant but popular. On the front it says "Konami" in before the word is a little thumbs up, as if you were "liking" their page. On the back is a large speech bubble with the text "I'm following @Konami. Are you?". The issue here, is that I'm not actually following them on Twitter... or liked their page on Facebook. Ahh, but YOU can!
http://twitter.com/#!/konami
http://www.facebook.com/konami
I wanted to get as many shirts as I could from the Expo, so that I could make the blog go on a bit longer. When someone sees this shirt the day after E3 they'll know I went and that this is a rare official shirt. Later on people will probably ask where I got it from and that will lead to a nice anecdote of this year's E3, which can also be seen from my Facebook pictures. It also segue to a nice conversation about favorite Konami titles, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Castlevania DDR, etc.

As my friend Moke was asking the ladies at the reception desk about a meeting some people showed up on the other side of the booth with these shirts. It was completely out of nowhere but I suppose we lucked out. This shirt is going to be fun and relevant for a while but will decline as Facebook and Twitter eventually become less popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment