Wednesday, October 20, 2010

And there was light!




My parents bought this for me from the gift shop at the Fleischmann Planetarium and Science Center at the University of Nevada, Reno.
http://www.planetarium.unr.edu/
We got it when we went there on a road trip a long time ago, maybe even before I moved to Southern California.
This one was probably a cheap t-shirt to make. Standard black with 1 color white ink screened on it. After wearing it a whole bunch of times the ink has gotten cracked and worn. A really low key shirt that doesn't stand out but is cool enough to wear.
On the front it features the formula for a black hole Rs = 2MG/c^2 and on the reverse is what I can only assume is the formula for light. A clean jab at creationism if I do say so myself.
Showing off this shirt makes me feel more nerdy/geeky. It's funny on the back so it's definitely not all business but you might need to explain it to someone every once and a while. This makes for a good talking piece, for either a high IQ crowd, who like to show off their encyclopedic knowledge, or a looser crowd who want to poke some fun while keeping it under the radar. It gives the impression you know the math and the theology to prove it. =p
I will maybe wear this shirt going to a college campus/department, or somewhere I want my perceived intellect to be just a smidgen higher. As you can see, this classic has been in my normal run for a while now, the worn-in nature of it giving it an air of experience or travel. (And that's natural wear and tear, none of the pre-stressed stuff.)

I must have had this shirt for a while because I can remember wearing to religions functions my parents made me attend. I would put this one on and go to my church's catechism classes, just to stick it to the man. If you got it, it was awesome, if not then it was just some random equations. Who's gonna hassle you over a cryptic graphic tee, am I right? I've had more than a few arguments over this shirt, some trying to prove the math wrong, some trying to prove the existence of God. But, all in all, it's a good conversation starter (even if it's from Reno).

No comments:

Post a Comment