Friday, March 18, 2011

Blackest Night




This is the second shirt that Bobby's sister Jackie got for me.
It came wrapped in a plastic bag with the Super Mario shirt from before. It was exactly what I wanted, I suppose I'm easy to shop for. During the run of this story arc in the DC comics universe these shirts and other merchandise could be found all over the place; locations like Hot Topic, local comic book shops, and a ton of online stores.
http://amzn.com/B003M2LQU6
Green Lantern shirts rock. I have a whole bunch of them and am adding more all the time. If you got tired of Hard Rock Cafe Shirts then prepare yourself for another long haul. I have a ton of these shirts because I am a huge fan of the hero, the story, and what they stand for. This particular shirt is based on a story that I have all of the monthly comics from -some 75+ comics-. The design does not appear to be printed in a four color CYMK style so I think they used 5 screens to make up all the different hues, yellow, purple, blue, green and white. They must have taken a while to make all the colors come out the way they wanted while still keeping high quality ink.
The picture is basically the cover of Blackest Night #6. They just took off the bar code, authors and company logos. At the top it says "Blackest Night" with the Black Lantern corps logo who's members are featured throughout the comic. From left to right it features the leaders/representatives of the fear, rage, greed, will, hope, compassion, and love corps: they are Sinestro, Atrocitus, Larfleeze, Hal Jordan, Saint Walker, Indigo-1, and Carol Ferris.
While this is an awesome shirt, I wouldn't want to wear it around hardcore comic fans -it's just too commercial-. The reason I didn't buy this shirt myself is because it is such a blatant cash grab by DC comics -the publishers of Green Lantern-. I just feel that if you want to support the comics then buy the comics so they'll make more, suffice to say, I've bought a lot of comics. I will however wear this almost anywhere else that is okay with general graphic tees, because to normal people this seems like a really specific -hardcore- Green Lantern shirt.

After finally reading Sinestro Corps -setting the stage for this event- I began collecting all the comics that were part of "The Blackest Night". Before this I had never really bought "singles" or "monthlies"  -comics that are about 20-30 pages long, the traditional comic book- because once a story is done they release what's called a Trade Paperback or TPB that contains all of the little ones in one book. Since this story took almost a year to be released and spanned many different series I had to look online and make a checklist where I could manage and get particularly hard to find comics and make sure I had a complete collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment