Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Save the Earth



I bought this on  a whim because it came with another item on a sale.
Hot Topic's website was having a sale where if you got two items or something you would get a free shirt or free shipping or 10$ off. So, I wanted to get these Rescue Rangers wristbands, and since this shirt was on sale I pretty much got it free. It was more than half off so you can assume it wasn't selling very well, and it goes without saying that you can't buy them anymore because they were so unpopular.
Hot Topic has a huge selection of shirts that I could have picked from, so this one must have been something special right? Well... I started my search for a shirt to add to my order by picking from their selection of heavily discounted items. A lot of shirts came up but were nixed due to them being the wrong size, girl's style, or had graphics from bands or things that I didn't know/like. This one was black, medium, with some simple designs and a video game reference: precisely what I was looking for.
It looks as if they were trying to make a Space Invaders/Galaga reference while keeping it legally distinct from it. Much like Space Invaders or Galaga it has the hero's ship at the bottom, aliens at the top a score counter and even two extra lives a the bottom. What those games didn't have was a big ass planet Earth in the center -though some of the re-releases probably did in later years-. The strange thing about the Earth is that it uses way more colors and pixels than the ships and invaders do. The text all around it says, "Save the Earth, It's the only planet with Video Games". It is a pretty dumb saying but still kind of funny.
This shirt is in my normal line up, it's not too spectacular but it fits with all my other black, video game graphic tees. The message plays on other shirt's "Save the earth" taglines and makes it gamer themed. A saying this stale isn't usually my thing, it's right up there with, "I'm with stupid" or "No fat chicks". But in this case I suppose it works.

My problem with low brow sayings on shirts is that people really like them. They're a cheap laugh and I'd like to think I'm above that! Well whatever, I just wear it and don't get too caught up in the whole meaning of the quote. I did have someone say that the pixelation of the planet was like messing with their eyes. The printing on it makes it so each of the "pixel" colors vary quite a bit making for a weird blurry thing going on. I hope people just notice it and think it's an awesome arcade game reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment