Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Major Kusanagi




My friend Moke got this shirt for me. He's awesome sometimes.
His company had extra stock or it was a misprint and it got handed off to me since I collect shirts and rarely decline such an offer. This is produced by the company Great Eastern Entertainment and they create merchandise based on anime and video games that they license. The design is from their series of Ghost in the Shell apparel -the same line that features Tachikoma from a few days ago-. You can't buy from them directly but you can get their products from a whole bunch of resellers, like Amazon.
http://www.geanimation.com/InfoOnly/
http://amzn.com/B00352O3VM
I have a lot more grey shirts than I thought; I'm okay with this. This is also one of my few anime shirts. I don't usually buy anime shirts for myself because A) I am trying to cut down on buying shirts in general, B) Anime shirts are typically imported, meaning the price is much higher and the domestic ones are poorly designed, C) I find myself watching anime less and less as of late, due to work, school and video games. The ink on this shirt is just fine -to tell you the truth I don't know what the printing flaw was-. I wish it wasn't a large but beggars can't be choosers, plus a few washes might be able to shrink it. As just a note, it doesn't have a tag, just the washing instructions and legal info printed inside the collar.
In my opinion, the coolest part of the shirt is that it is printed all the way down at the bottom of the fabric. It makes the design unique and cool; but most companies stay away from the edge because it is sometimes hard to control the quality and make sure that the registration matches up for every color. The actual design of the shirt features the main character of the show, Major Motoko Kusanagi. She is a kick ass, take no prisoners, get the job done right the first time, leader of a secret special-ops team. She has a bunch of wires and what appear to be stylized monitors/TVs surrounding her because she is a cyborg who is capable of linking her brain and body to computers and even other people. Down on the right it has the name of the show in English and Japanese: "攻殻機動隊". It started off as a manga -Japanese comic- and was adapted into a movie. Below that is the same thing "Ghost In The Shell" and the letters "S.A.C." this stands for "Stand Alone Complex", the TV show made about the movie. The last part of the title is "2nd GIG", that indicates that this was from the second season of the series. GitS is an interesting show, tactical espionage with a touch of existentialism in each story.
I'm not 100% confident wearing this around just anywhere because it is so large. Like, abnormally large. In most situations I don't care, I'm just saying that I wouldn't necessarily wear this to impress or show off to somebody. The shirt still works great for most anything else though, hanging out with friends, going to work, sleeping in, and especially sitting around watching anime.

The first time I wore this someone at the office noticed it first thing in the morning. They had asked me if it was, "The Major". Since Ghost in the Shell is not one of my most favorite animes and I got the shirt the day before, it threw me off. I responded with a quizzical look, I thought they were talking about something work related. They continued, "... Your shirt..." I finally realized what they were talking about and confirmed their suspicions. I went on to explain who I got it from and found out that they really liked this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment