Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Friends World Committee for Consultation



I got this from my dad a few years ago.
To be honest, when I put it on this morning I didn't know what it's origin was. As I went though the day the pieces came together slowly. Firstly, since it's a Quaker shirt that means it was from my Dad. I started to wonder though, according to the text, the even this was from was held in Guatemala. I'm pretty sure that my brother has been there in his legendary travels when he was younger; but in 2006 I don't think either of them went to this conference. When I got home I had a pow-wow with my mom and she confirmed that he didn't attend that year. We revealed that one of the members of our Quaker meeting went to Guatemala and brought back a whole bunch of trinkets and items for the group. She auctioned them off for charity where dad purchased this shirt. You can't find this shirt anywhere since it was made for such a specific purpose.
I am sketchy of white shirts but in this case I'll make an exception. It fits me well as a medium that wears like a small and the printing is of acceptable quality. This is a pleasant shirt to wear since it is unassuming and very neat.  I'm confident that this is one of my only -if not the only- religion based shirts that I own. It makes sense to keep one around, ya know, just in case. Sometimes you need to rely on other's faith, or prey on it. =D
The design is really plain, but in a good way. Unlike the Hitachi layout, where they seemed to be fulfilling bullet-points, this design takes advantage of color as well as additional languages, all while keeping to the theme and not feeling to slapped together. The logo itself is composed of several different earthy hues representing the diversity of the organization with the letters "FWCC". The text beside the logo is expressed in English and Spanish because this section of the international group is for the Americas. The text says:
Friends World Committee for Consultation
Section of the Americas
----------------------------------------
Comité Mundial de Consulta de los Amigos
Sección de las Américas
 Under that is the meeting location and date: Yearly Meeting Chiquimula, Guatemala March 2006. In Spanish it says: "Reunió Anual Chiquimula, Guatemala Marzo 2006". The group meets up every year in a different part of the Americas to discuss faith, peace, and world harmony I suppose. For example, theme for 2006 was, "To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good."
I'd like to wear this if i were to go out volunteering, maybe with a religious group, with friends or just to help where help is needed. Or at least to look like I am doing good. When you wear a shirt like this other people see you with an air of "goodness", like if you wear a "race for the cure" or an "I volunteered" or maybe "I donated blood" shirt. This can go in my lineup to raise my overall kindness stat every once in a while.

I don't think anyone has really noticed this shirt and allowed me to fully explain it. I'm not to worried about it though, the increased self-esteem properties and how it makes me feel when wearing it allow the shirt to shine in other ways. The Quakers themselves are a fairly passive group anyway, they believe that you can find God within yourself rather than having a whole lot of pomp and circumstance. I haven't been to meeting in a while though, I should get reconnected, or at least hold someone in the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment