Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hard Rock Cafe - Chicago

 My mom got me this when she went to a conference in Chicago.
The only place you could have gotten this exact shirt is from the gift shop at the Hard Rock Cafe in Chicago. I wouldn't imagine that you could buy it anymore because they have moved on from this design. I was given this years ago and I hope dragon shirts aren't "in" anymore -the theme is super dated-. 
You can tell how old this shirt is not just by the design but by the fact that it's a small. That means it was bought with the intention of me wearing it as a small, duh, but its important to note because I could almost wear a large at this point. The fabric is of normal weight and quality but I feel like I should mention that the collar tag is sewn shut on both sides like a pillow rather than being just a tag -it's a bit bothersome-. The printing for the design is done very well in full color and has not aged a day. Initially, my mom chose this design because it was a black graphic tee instead of the normal white ones that I wear and it has an Asian influence, which I was into at the time. When I got it I liked it, but it broke the pattern of the collection I had going.
On the front left breast Is a yin-yang symbol; colored in black and a weird muddle of orange, red and white, it supposed to look like fire or burning but it doesn't really make sense unless you look at the back too. The Hard Rock Cafe text is a really stereotypical "Chinese" font. Below it in the same font, but grey, is the word "Chicago". On the back of the shirt is a big silver dragon breathing fire with the words "Hard Rock Cafe" in it. I don't know what Chicago's Hard Rock Cafe has to do with the Asian culture other than the fact that dragons are fucking metal. 
The color messes with the continuity of the collection by being black instead of white, but I like wearing it more than the others because it's dark and a tad more subtle. I would not want to take this anywhere oriental based simply because I don't believe the correct message would be received. I may have been to Chicago at some time in my life but it was mainly the airport or just driving through -not enough to start a conversation with-.

I could see Chicago being a city of music. I mean, if you're in Midwest America you might as well listen to music and party. The yin-yang is tasteless and eye catching, I can pull it off if taken at face value or just as a shiny point of interest. If all else fails, this will be a really absurd shirt for the band Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment