Thursday, February 17, 2011

Volunteer - CUE




I got this shirt up at a conference in Ontario -California-. It was given to me when I registered for the day. To circumvent the fees for attending -which can be several hundred dollars- I volunteered to work for them during the event.
While kind of random and free, this shirt is rare. Because of the sponsors on the back the design is unique to that year's convention. And, since you can only get this particular CUE shirt by volunteering, it makes it almost impossible to get now. Although, if you were there at the time, I'd bet that they had a big stack of these and you could have just stolen one or asked and they would have given it to you.
http://www.cue.org/conference/
Either there is a standardization for t shirt fabric or all of these are made from the same place in China. That is my perception, or else I'm really bad at discerning fabric quality overall -I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case-. I mean, this was -pretty much- a free shirt so who's complaining? With so many black graphic tees any other colors are a welcome addition to break up the monotony (mono-tone-y). I was thinking about colors as I pulled out the shirt today, and I did a quick browse of all the shirts I have worn so far on the blog. It looks like whenever I choose another color, that color is blue, or blue-green, or aqua. I definitely need to get some other colors to mix it up. When I got there they had mediums so at least that worked out. Also, 1 color with no gradient or halftone pattern makes for a really high contrast design and is about as cheap as they come.
On the front pocket is the CUE logo which stands for Computer Using Educators. At the top of the CUE icon it says "VOLUNTEER" so that you know that I am in charge of things around here. On the back it has the logo of two companies. The first is a place called Net Trekker, they're an educational search provider who help k-12 schools do something with organization. I never heard of them before going to CUE and I just checked out their website, I honestly can't figure out what they do specifically. Here's a clue: the tag line reads, "Differentiated INSTRUCTION to Help EVERY CHILD Learn!" I don't get it but maybe their target audience does. The second company is "Atomic Learning" who -according to their website- provide lessons and training for teachers online via videos and documents. Thrilling...
http://www.atomiclearning.com/
http://www.nettrekker.com
The only reason I wear this around, other than the fact that it was free, is because it makes me look like a good person. Wearing a shirt like this is in the same vein as "Walk for the cure" or "I gave to save" shirts. Basically, at a quick glance it provides a positive image when a first impression really maters. I can go even farther with it because the Computer Using Educators group is all about helping teachers help students. Hopefully you can infer that I am good with kids or something like that and it will be a good beginning to a dialogue.

The day I wore this was the first day of the conference and I had to give a lecture. I wore a black collared shirt for that presentation and it was well received. Afterward, I took my badge and volunteer shirt out and was charged with supervising a workshop. It was a beginner's class about working with web-based educational software. I had to help with setting up their wi-fi and any little user errors that they came up with. Nothing really complex but at least I could provide a bit of expertise when needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment