Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hard Rock Cafe - London




We bought this shirt directly from the source. I was even there at the gift shop in London when we picked it up.
The only gift shop in the world where you can get one of these tee shirts is at the Hard Rock Cafe in London, England. My family and I were there on a tour of the UK for one of my Mom's conferences in Edinburgh.
This is the real deal, the fabric is just what I would expect from an official Hard Rock Cafe souvenir. The printing is bright and worn just the right amount. With shirts like this I am okay with a degree of fading and damage, it gives it class and cred. I mean we're talking about a rock & roll lifestyle here, not everything is clean and proper! While I like having exotic locales on Hard Rock Cafe shirts, English speaking ones are a plus. haha And of course it is a medium, I got this a long time ago but it looks like I grew into it.
Of all of the different styles of the Hard Rock Cafe logo, I like this one the best. It comes from the 90s I believe. The design is simple enough that it is powerful and iconic but it's clearly up to date. The bevel and emboss on the text is a tad cheesy but it adds depth to the design. They're more modern than the flat old school designs and are simpler than the elaborate designs that they have now adopted at many locations with big pictures and heavy textures. Basically, the logo is plopped in the center and below, in the traditional maroon font in all caps, it reads "LONDON". That's all this shirt is and that's all this shirt needs. Straight forward, clean and cool~
Some of the other Hard Rock Cafes don't quite fit the bill for the music scene, let alone the rock scene. In my humble opinion, few places epitomize rock quite like London town. Because I do not have any punk rock or cool Brit-rock shirts I'll grab this one if I wanna be a super noob poser when going to a concert or are hanging out with audiophiles. The goal here being to evoke the ideals and style of the British rock movements: anti-establishment, anarchy, and wicked outfits.

I can safely say that my trip to England was not rowdy and raucous. I was young at the time and the the idea of booze and broads was quite literally foreign to me. This shirt is like a gift from my past self. Maybe a hope of freaking awesome parties to come. I went there for the Beatles; after I came back out west I sampled all kinds of British rock: Queen to the Sex Pistols, Arctic Monkeys to Elton John and tons in-between. My problem is that at this point I think anyone who sees me in a Hard Rock Cafe shirt just discounts it and doesn't even check the location. I need a service where I can trade these in for ones that better represent my message.

No comments:

Post a Comment