Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Triforce of Wisdom

Another harvest from the dreaded Hot Topic.
When Twilight Princess was coming out this shirt was available all over the place. It was one of "those shirts" that you could get if you wanted it. Personally I saw this in a bunch of stores and wanted it for a while. I eventually bought it with the other Legend of Zelda stained glass shirt that I featured earlier. Nowadays you can get them at places online, but not in stores anymore.
http://amzn.com/B0046V9ZIC
Of course it's a medium and standard weight fabric, naturally a black graphic tee. The defining aspect of this shirt makes me like it and hate it at the same time. I'm talking about the gold foil on the front. When I saw the effect in the store it seemed like the coolest thing, no other shirt had it back then -of course now it's all the rage (kind of)-. Once it went through the wash it killed the foil, gone, done, never to be seen again. Ever since then it is black on black and a little shiny. 
Even though it doesn't say it explicitly, until you read it really small on the back, I hope everyone knows that this is a Legend of Zelda design.  On the front is the Triforce of Wisdom with embellishments from Link's shield. It kind of looks like the Warhammer 40k logo with the twin birds. In its heyday -the first time I wore it- the shine was spectacular. Now, it looks like there is just a glossy -kind of yellow- layer of ink on the front and you can only see it if the light hits it just right. While this is a fun effect, I wish it looked like the day I bought it. At the nape of the neck, in yellow, is the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess logo from the Wii/Gamecube title. 
On the first wearing I was so stoked to wear a gold Triforce; I really enjoyed that day. Once I got it back from the wash I haven't really wanted to wear it at all. I would pick it out of my dresser, get depressed and put it back. I can only get the courage to wear it if I convince myself that the black on black look is classy. If someone sees it they'll get the reference, but what's the POINT!?

I'm cool with this design, but for sure I'll never get another "metal" or "foil" colored shirt again. What I am really looking forward to is like Daft Punk, Tron, Dirty Pair, circuit laced apparel. TVs, LCDs LED embedded shirts and jackets where I can have dynamic clothing that displays ads and themes. I think I should have simply checked the label for washing instructions, that would have saved an entire post and a few years of a neglected shirt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment