Tuesday, February 1, 2011

More Friends



I had to buy this shirt myself. But at the time I didn't have enough cash on me to pay for it. I was all ready to charge it onto my credit card and go into debt for the first time in my life because I wanted it and some other concert merch really bad. Unfortunately, my credit/debit card doesn't work that way and I was just declined. So I had to borrow some from Mike to actually get it -thanks Mike-.
This merch booth was the only place where you could have bought it. Adding to its rarity, it was only this specific day of the concert series. The other iterations were just called "Dear Friends". This matches my black graphic tee mantra and is of one of my favorite franchises. The ink they used is atrocious. It looked so beautiful and perfect when I bought it. But now it's a cracked worn mess like all concert tour T-shirts.
There is nothing on the back, but there doesn't need to be anything on the back. The sleeve is decorated with the Square Enix logo -you probably can't make it out in the picture-. Dead center is where the action takes place. It says "More Friends" in a kind of 70s neon font. Below that it says "music from FINAL FANTASY" and the date "May 16, 2005". This concert consisted of a full orchestra playing tracks from all of the FINAL FANTASY titles.
I may have a lot of Square Enix shirts, but this one is my favorite. I was so lucky to go to this concert, and they never had another again. I try and wear this anywhere that someone might recognize it, especially work. In a place littered with Square Enix merch this one is actually rare and can stand out. The other way I wear it is around people who have no idea what it means. Taken at face value, it just says "MORE FRIENDS" and has the FINAL FANTASY logo beneath it. Basically a shirt stating that you're a video game nerd -if they get that far- and you are looking for friends or are lonely. I think that's kind of a quaint conversation starter.

I've only been to two actual rock concerts in my life but I have gone to a ton of orchestral concerts. More Friends was an event that I had been looking forward to for years. It had been a concept that I was dreaming of ever since I heard my first MIDI playback. The coolest part of that night was as they were reaching the climax of their playlist. The musicians had just finished some crowd favorites, and we were loving it, then the host came out and introduced the special guests. The curtain raised behind the orchestra to reveal the Japanese rock band The Black Mages! The crowd went nuts and they began playing along with the orchestra. It was truly epic, but the night was not over yet. The host returned and said that for this performance they would have one more surprise guest. With his introduction, Nobuo Uematsu -the composer for most of the FINAL FANTASY music- strolled on stage with a full chorus of singers. The audience roared because their appearance could only mean one song -one which was suspiciously absent from the evening-. Nobuo took center stage, thanked all of his fans and conducted the symphony orchestra, the Black Mages and the 20-30 piece choir for 'One Winged Angel'! Simply legendary, a standing ovation to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment