Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Real Men Read.






 

My mom got me this shirt as a gift.
If memory serves, and I could really be just guessing at this point because I've been sensing a pattern with these gifts, this came from a library convention. She paid for it since it is actually high quality and is not DELIBERATELY selling something. She either got it from the Edward Gorey booth or a reading apparel booth. You can also get them online at this store: http://www.goreystore.com/drupal/shop/clothing/edward-gorey-real-men-read-t-shirt
Since, I assume, that this was paid for, the quality is good. The shirt is standard black fabric weight. The ink on the design is really well printed and, after a few washes, is holding together well. Black with graphics on the front are my deal, so yeah, let's do this. 
When I was given this it came with a quick lecture about the artist/author. Apparently, Edward Gorey is a noted author and illustrator from the mid 1900s who was mainly known for his strange and unique picture books. The image is of an adult reading a book with a child sitting at attention. I'm not sure if the boy is being read aloud to -which would be a good educational message- or if he is just sitting in awe because he can't read and wants to -also cool-. The phrase at the top reads "Real Men Read." Simple, concise, strong and empowering. The comic itself is classic in its design and coloring, all the way down to the crosshatching. 
I feel like this is a great shirt when I want to be a little more uhh, manly. It picks up a few crowds with the graphic and message. It hits the aggressive READ feeling pretty well to start off. Anyone who is into books, into literature, that whole vibe, will -hopefully- embrace the idea. It also projects the impression I read and am a "Real Man" with capital letters. Wearing it at a comic book store or a convention its fun too. 'Cuz Real Men Read (comics). =P

Whenever I put on a shirt that has nice big slogan across it, people seem compelled to read it -sometimes even out loud-. When this happens it gives me a great sense of satisfaction -I'm a glutton for attention (about my shirts)-. The one time that this shirt hit its mark was while I was waiting in line for god knows what. The person behind me noticed the shirt and commented, "Don't you just love Gorey's illustrations?" I was like, "... yeah!" They continued on, "I got this alphabet card set with all macabre scenes, they're so kitsch." At this point I realized that she was talking about the artist and went along with it. Took me a second though...

No comments:

Post a Comment