Tuesday, February 15, 2011

You must play the Sega Saturn!


I bought this in the magical island nation of Japan. 
Moke and I were browsing a character goods shop just off the Akihabara subway exit in Tokyo. It was one of those stores that by the time I get to the checkout I have a big pile of shirts, toys and trinkets. To be honest I walk into there and go,"OMG I WANT ONE OF EVERYTHING PLEASE." This is another wonderful design from the amazing dudes at Cospa. Their designs are so tuned into my style that it feels like they have a chip in my brain to know what I like.
It clearly skipped my mind that I had another aqua-green "mint" shirt. I like this color a lot and pick these up when I see them. I just didn't think that I had this many of them, they're forgettable? The quality of the fabric is the "Japanese" weight that I like, it just seems nicer and higher thread count than I expect. There is only one color screened on the entire shirt -black- and it is sticking on there well without wearing out. I can tell that when it does get old and worn it will age well. This Japanese Large fits me well as a Medium.
The quote on the front is from a really old ad campaign that Sega used only in Japan. It says, "YOU MUST PLAY THE SEGA SATURN!" encircling a Sega Saturn console. Below that it reads, "SINCE 1994" and has the Sega Saturn logo -the one the US is used to- and the Japanese "Sega Saturn" logo with the cool stylized "S". On the back, at the bottom, is the Japanese "Sega Saturn" logo again. When on a game case, this logo is on a gold background with cool red and blue highlights. I like that a lot more than the blue orb and sliver type treatment that we got stateside. 
I like this tee because the design on it is so clear and obvious that it attracts attention but also is stylized so that you aren't being hit over the head with the message. One could read it casually but also dismiss it as just a party shirt or some random graphic t-shirt. If you love the Saturn then a high five is in order, if you know Segata Sanshiro's commercials then you're a step ahead of me, and if you have no idea what's going on I can hook up my import Saturn and teach you the ways of Nights into Dreams, Panzer Dragoon and Radiant Silvergun. 

The only other time I got to wear this was actually in Japan. I think that when you wear a really common shirt around the place where it originated you become "that guy" wearing "that shirt". Since I'm just an anime tourist it didn't bother me much because I wore it with pride and didn't give a single fuck. Back out west, this is a rare shirt and I love the prestige that comes with really "official" and OG gaming gear. Straight from the streets of Akiba to your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment