Thursday, January 6, 2011

C:/DOS/RUN




Either I got this as a just a piece of apparel or as Christmas gift. This was years ago, before I moved to southern California and back when people still used DOS on a regular basis.
Every year my family gets tons of catalogues sent to our house for whatever reason -probably because we keep ordering from them-. So around Christmas time we each go though the whole stack and mark stuff we like/want and dog ear the page. This shirt was the result of that. However it may have been mid-year instead of Christmas, I'm not 100% sure.
This was one of the original white text on black shirts. Not just for me but for my age group. There wasn't a Hot Topic back then or a mainstream Internet for that matter. This was probably my first shirt of this style and it's awesome. The text is readable but has definitely seen some age and the fabric itself is holding together but is showing signs of deterioration -there are two big holes in the front but I'm okay with that because it shows "experience"-.
This a no-frills shirt. It gets across a specific message. It is made to be cheap and it is made to be bold, it accomplishes all these tasks. The text reads as follows, "C:/DOS/ | C:/DOS/RUN | RUN/DOS/RUN" Now, to explain this shirt there are two distinct references you need to get, and a bonus one if you're feeling lucky. First is the command line of DOS, an operating system for PCs that's been around since the early 80s and -if you use a Windows computer- you are still able to use it to this day. The next reference is the children's book See Spot Run. In case you didn't get that when you were a little kid; it was a rudimentary book to teach kids how to read. It goes "See Spot. See Spot run. Run Spot run!" it gets a little redundant after that point but you get the gist of it. The bonus reference is that a version of this shirt was worn by the comic book guy on an episode of The Simpsons.
This is my shirt. I don't care where I am or where I end up with this shirt because I feel like it represents me really well. The best place to wear this is LAN parties in my opinion. The next best place would be like a computer club, tech convention or umm Fry's? Anywhere someone would get the reference would be spectacular. It's not just a computer reference, it's an old school computer reference. I feel like it's a badge of honor from being there for an era. It also is a little bit of a Windows favoritism, Macs may have a design advantage, well this is a reminder that DOS is awesome and is surely OG.

There have been many many times that I have worn this shirt. I've worn this all though my transition from middle school in the computer lab, waiting for a ride from my mom in the high school library, in my Cisco networking class with Mike, an A+ class and all the way though college. That was after I realized that I didn't want have a career in technology. I will have my passion for computers for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment