Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hard Rock Cafe - Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

This was yet another souvenir from someone's travels abroad.
Particularly it was from my mom when she got back from here roundabout tour to many different conferences across Japan, Australia, and Malaysia. When she finally got home she gave me this shirt as well as a bunch of other trinkets and prizes from the orient.
With all of these Hard Rock Cafe shirts I should open a museum or something. Maybe someone would be impressed with all of the shirts I have collected. I for one am impressed. At this point I'm trying to get a few more of these out of the way so they don't keep getting in the way of more awesome shirts. Of course, since this was a gift for me, it is in medium and fits me well. The fabric however is atrocious. I do not know if it feels that way because it has not yet been washed and is still starchy or that it is like a really low quality abrasive fabric. Whatever the case may be, this is not one of my favorite shirts.
On the front is the usual "classic" Hard Rock Cafe logo. Most restaurant locations have a few different designs that they have available. They may have a custom design for that city that would feature details and elements that represent that certain area. Something like the Sacramento shirt I posted which features the pickaxes and gold mine to represent the gold rush era. In my collection I am trying to keep with one uniform style so they all look good together. When I get ones that are different it kinda throws off my grove. This one in particular is a knock-off so there are a few things wrong with it. Most obviously is the color change on the main circle. It is way darker and more red than any of my others. It also has the "Save the Planet" slogan across the top, which the company does sometimes use but not on this style of shirt -at least not on any that I have-. The other aspect that isn't consistent is where it says "Malaysia". This doesn't match their style for 2 reasons: 1) They usually don't put the county on the location or if they do it is on the same line in the same color as the Hard Rock word above. 2) The font is really wacky, if it was on the same line it would be in the same color and typeface. Before posting I did do a little check to see if there was actually a Kuala Lumpur franchise to make sure that this was on the right track and there is indeed a location there, so it's at least imitating real life. 
Hmmm, let me think, when would it be a really cool time to wear a Kuala Lumpur shirt? Since today is the first time I'm wearing this shirt I suppose I chose wrong. As it turns out, this isn't a very auspicious day. Theses Hard Rock Cafe shirts are a more overall representation of my personality. It doesn't hit you with the heavy nerd references or really challenge you. It does have a nice little travel reference and a quick story of it's origin that comes with it. And of course I'm down to "Save the Planet" so that's cool as well. 

When my mom got this shirt for me she wanted to grab me a unique gift from Malaysia. I am sometimes easy to shop for with gifts like this that can be picked up wherever you are. I'll sometimes get foreign comic books, other shirts, key-chains, etc. as gifts from people as well. Her group didn't have time to get to the actual location so she went ahead and pick this up off a local shop. I really don't mind because 95% of people wouldn't notice/care that it's not original and it gives me a fun story to talk about! To be honest, it's really the thought that counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment