Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dr. Horrible Fan



Once I found out about this shirt I went looking for it and ordered one ASAP.
They sold a few different shirts for this show which featured the title-card for the series, a Captain Hammer logo and fan shirt as well as this one, each in three colors. The website they are from got swamped with requests and I had to put in a preorder for their next run because they ran our of mediums.
I have very few colored shirts, let alone brightly colored shirts. I waited to purchase this shirt specifically so that I could ensure I got it in medium and red. The ink on the front is just printed on with what I assume was a fabric ink jet printer. This makes for a lot of detail and good color however it is typically very fragile which can be seen by the cracking and fading.
I adore shirts like this but maybe not the way they go about advertising them. In the show, the groupies of Captain Hammer wear shirts with his face on it. The shirts look like they are low quality and made by hand, like an iron-on or something. By the end of the series they are wearing Dr. Horrible themed shirts just like this one. Another "artifact" to add to my collection. My problem is that it almost feels like they're in the show so they can merchandise them later. Dead center is Neil Parick Harris as Dr. Horrible with a swirly green background and a red outline. The show was created by Joss Whedon, of Buffy fame- during the writer's strike a few years back. Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog started off as a small Internet video and is now a big hit thanks to a cult following and successful DVD & iTunes sales.
I like wearing this around TV watching people. Not necessarily nerds or fans but people who are very familiar with television. The kind of person that likes to talk about it around the water-cooler. I like to approach it that way because they might not know about Dr. Horrible or his Sing Along Blog. I get a kick when someone asks if the character on my shirt is Doogie Howser M.D. A quick explanation and a URL link later creates a new fan.

I actually got on board this movement late. With so many things online I somehow let this gem fall though the cracks. With the Internet we all have access to nearly everything, and just the volume of professionally developed games, TV shows and movies you can get buried in content. I was at San Diego Comic Con when I finally saw this. It was really late at night and I heard they were having a panel. I figured I would get in on it so I could at least have some behind the scenes info for when I watched it. Little did I know that the panel filled up near instantly. I was dismayed, but people were still waiting in line, I didn't know why though. They ended up taking the overflow crowd and just screening the whole show on huge screens in the adjacent halls. There were those singing right with the songs, a few laughing before the jokes and of course that random guy laughing at the weirdest time. I think everyone had seen it already but it was awesome to be able to see it with a worked up audience. It's was like seeing a moving on opening night when you've got a good crowd who's really into it. That mood can make an amazing film even that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment