Monday, January 10, 2011

The Legend of Zelda



This rare item was presented to me after waiting in line for an hour or two.
You can only get this shirt straight from Nintendo at one of their events or booths. In particular, I got this from E3 2010 after waiting in line with Mike and some random guys. We got to play the new Legend of Zelda game for a while and got these shirts too!
Mmm grey, the most neutral hue of the color wheel. It it subtle and cool at the same time -then again, cool is often subtle-. I like grey shirts and want get more of them. They were handing these only in the standard nerd large and it was way to big for me the first time I wore it. But it seems to have shrunk to an appropriate size with a wash. The fabric is unlike any shirt I have, now that could be a good thing or a bad thing. Basically it is very light and I don't want to say flimsy, but it's a bit cheap. >_>
It was probably really easy to come up with the design for this shirt. They must have been like, "Hey Tim! Whip somethin' up for this year's E3 swag, and make it good." and then Tim quickly snagged some key art from the server and slapped it on a shirt, put "The Legend of Zelda" on the bottom and called it a day. But wait, we're making 1000 of these?! Okay then, print it in one color -make sure it's green so it looks like Link, we'll at least give you that concession- and put them on the cheapest cloth you can find from our factory in China. Perfect! This shirt is just about the franchise in general but it really is supposed to be for the new game entitled "Skyward Sword". You wouldn't know that from the actual shirt but you now know it because I told you, and that is really any promo item's final goal.
This is another one of my convention exclusive shirts that I like wearing around other convention-goers -because they recognize it for it's rarity-. Any nerd gathering or party it works for as well. Even out shopping at Frank & Son's or the local comic book shop/Gamestop. Most people -I hope- in my age group know Link and his quest for the Triforce so this shirt is bound to spark a conversation. For the Legend of Zelda savvy, this shirt should appear rare and will piqué some interests that can turn into bigger conversations. Quick talking points include: Ocarina of Time being the best in the franchise, "Hey Listen!", Twilight Princess plays better with a Gamecube controller and that despite critical depreciation Windwaker was a pretty solid title.

So yeah, I waited in line for what seemed like forever to get this shirt. At E3 you have to keep your eyes open at all times and choose your queues wisely. I was super stoked when I got it and a little less stoked when I realized it was super huge. They were giving out a bunch of shirts that day and while many of them were awesome -which you've see in previous posts- I wore this one to the office the very next day. I chose it because it was the only shirt Nintendo was handing out and it was the hot ticket item since this was the first public gameplay for "Skyward Sword" and it was the longest line I waited in the whole time I was there. I had gone in on that Thursday thinking I'd be hot shit, since I took the day off to go to the conference when most people had to work. Apparently I wasn't alone in that line or in my thought process... Lo and behold, there were three other people in the break room sporting the same shirt. I suppose great minds think alike, and dress to match.

No comments:

Post a Comment