Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Video_Game_Voters_Network



This was given to me as a promo item.
At E3 last year or the year before the Video_Game_Voters_Network had a booth. They had a special spot though, you didn't even have to pass security to get to it, they were just out in the hallway. Getting this shirt was not completely free. I had to give them my email address before they would give me the shirt. In a situation like that an email address is a small price to pay. The "Video_Game_Voters_Network" is a group of people who "defend against threats to video games by registering to vote and letting Congress know how important this issue is to the community."
http://videogamevoters.org/
After doing 60-something posts I realize that I have a lot of Navy blue shirts. Perhaps I just mixed them in with the black ones. When picking them out in the morning they all really look the same color 'cuz I'm so drowsy. At the booth they let me pick out the size that I wanted from the big pile of shirts that they were giving away that day, a medium of course. The ink is super thick but it's actually so thick that it has become like plastic. After a few washes it is showing some "baconing" on the back side of the shirt. All of the ink is contracting, forming weird folds and wrinkling because of the design. I think a simple ironing session would take care of it but I can't remember the last time my shirts got ironed. I am notorious for having wrinkled shirts. I keep them all crammed in as little as 5 dresser drawers, it gets a bit tight in there for months at a time.
This is one of my few breast-pocket logo shirts. On the front corner it says "Video_Game_Voters_Network" yes, with the underscores. The underscores are their little nod to video gamers who -back in Counter Strike or really old forum days- would add these underscores because you couldn't use spaces to make your name unique. Below that is a red, white and blue circle with a check-mark in it. I can't stand how trite this is but it wasn't my decision. They at least could have put an 8-bit -pixelated- check mark, right? The back has a flag made up of raised hands. This could be a symbol for almost any political association, but I'll give it to them because it is supposed to be for younger people and you use your hands for controllers. While it does have 7 red stripes and 6 blank areas making up 13 stripes it only has 41 stars! Below the annoyingly inaccurate flag has their tag line "Your Games - Your Voice - Your Vote" and at the bottom is their website "www.VideoGameVoters.com".
I realized when I chose this in the morning that I should have worn it yesterday for the State of the Union address. Ohh well, the shirt I wore yesterday was good enough but today's will be playing catchup for yesterday anyway. I like to wear this anywhere that I can make a stand, any situation where my voice needs to be heard! Really though, I've never had an appropriate time for this shirt. Whenever I wear this I like to think that the shirt can make its own waves. Basically, I hope that people will ask about the Voters Network, and maybe we can have a little convo about some of the new legislation, censorship and the fact that there are only a handful of AO rated games.

After signing up with them I've only received a couple of emails -since I am already registered to vote-. This would really be one of the few causes that I would stand up for. Since there are so few adults/people in power who play video games they don't get a voice as much as they should. This makes it easy for anti-gaming laws and propositions to get passed without you finding out about them until it's to late. With this whole net neutrality and Internet restriction hubbub going around, I'm gonna be the first one to jump in a picket line for "the cause" if something wicked goes down.

No comments:

Post a Comment