Friday, January 14, 2011

I'm the inmortal




I bought this for myself as an impulse purchase in Japan.
There are a few shops that cater to otaku throughout Japan like Gee Store, Cospatio and the Cospa line of stores. As Moke and I were traveling around Tokyo and Osaka we would keep a keen eye open for shops like this so we could grab some designer anime and video game merchandise.
This actually feels like a high quality shirt. I don't know if it is because I paid more for it or because it is still brand new -I had to take the tag off of it before I put it on this morning-. Technically this is a large, a Japanese large, which fits like an American medium =/. Black with white text is often what I look for when getting a simple quote on a shirt. I prefer white on black to black text on a white t-shirt because it lasts longer, since white ink needs to be thicker and more stalwart to last on a black background. Black shirts hide dirt and stains better, and plain white shirts are not only cheap to make but often look cheap or low quality -the main reason is because I think they look cooler but that's more of a preference than an argument-.
On the front of the shirt it says "I'm the inmortal". The shirt is Japanese in origin about an anime called Baccano! It is about a bunch of immortals, alchemists, mobsters and gangsters on the backdrop of prohibition era America. The text is in English/Italian and is set in this cool vintage font. On the back of the shirt it says "And don't pat me on the head! Baccano!" This is referring to the power that the immortals have in the show. If they place their hand on another immortal's head they can transfer memories between one another. Or, as this shirt is warning against, if they think of eating the victim they will kill them and absorb all of their memories and power. It's a fun premise and is kinda cool in a magic-is-real roleplaying kind of way.
This is an anime shirt through and through and it works best around someone who has seen Baccano! Since only fans of the show would get the reference. It appears as almost a non-sequitur to someone outside the fanbase, though hopefully the fact that the series' logo is on the back helps. The goal being to illicit a response; weather that is a pat on the head or just a comment is the tipping point. Now that I'm thinking this through, I know this is gonna work as reverse psychology and get me like way more head patting than normal...

When I originally saw this I just though it was funny and poignant. I hadn't heard of the series but it was in one of the few elite anime merchandise stores we visited and it was well designed so I assumed it had to be cool and trendy and purchased it blindly. The true reason I was attracted to this quote was because I was having a problem with someone patting me on the head in real life and this seemed like a clever way to quell that as well as achieve a smidge of tongue-in-cheek respect. I later found out what the series was about and how awesome the premise is. I have yet to wear this in an applicable situation but I did have some random co-worker say "Okay, I won't pat you on the head." I guess that's progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment