Thursday, January 13, 2011

Hard Rock Cafe - Cozumel, Mexico



This is a souvenir Hard Rock Cafe shirt that I was actually present for its purchase.
We bought this shirt at one of two places and I'll have to do some delicate remembering and use some deduction to piece my hazy memory back together. The main source would be the official Hard Rock Cafe gift-shop adjacent to the restaurant. The other place that you can get one of these is at almost any one of the numerous souvenir stalls selling t-shirts to tourists. Many, if not all of the merchandise sold there is counterfeit or at least of poor quality.
Not that I really need more of this type of shirt, I just like to collect them -they're and easy go-to souvenir-. For its age and questionable origin it has held together well. It feels like a large or maybe even an extra large. The ink quality doesn't feel too bad and it has definitely withstood multiple washes without cracking or peeling. However, there are some fatal flaws, the print color matching and the registration are pretty off. Down on the bottom hem and on the sleeve there are paint marks too. It seems like I didn't think much of this counterfeit shirt back in college and used it as a work shirt for some of my painting classes. I do enjoy having marks like this on shirts because it adds a bit of history and memory to an otherwise bland piece.
The logo on the front is the same logo the company has been using for years. The problem being that the drop shadow, yellow/orange color and the bottom text are all different from an official shirt. The words on the bottom say "Cozumel - Mexico" which is indeed where this comes from but a real Hard Rock Cafe shirt would have a slightly differently colored and shaped font. The icing on the cake of this forgery is that there is no tag on the collar denoting size, washing instructions and, most importantly, copyright information. So what? I guess this is a counterfeit and I saved a couple bucks on a shirt and skipped out on the restaurant trip. If you didn't know better you'd think it was the same anyway.
There is no particular situation I have pulled this out for. If I was hard pressed I might grab it for a Cinco de Mayo or some Mexico themed event but that's really a stretch. Though it is true that I do not have many Hispanic type shirts. Cozumel is kind of an easygoing resort area for tourists off the coast of Cancun and I would hope that this shirt exudes that kind of feeling. A lazy afternoon on the beach, maybe some food and a siesta, I like where this is going.

There may not be any "rock" scene to be had in Cozumel but they do indeed know how to party. This was a big destination a few years ago for kids to fly out to and party. My problem is that I was like 12 or so when I went there. Because of this, my trip was more about relaxation and discovery. My family and I enjoyed ourselves on the beach and in the resort. We took day trips to exotic locales. I learned a lot from this trip and when I got back home my class was on the ancient Mayans and Aztecs  unit, so I had tons of info and pictures to work with. For my project in that class I ended up baking a multi-step pyramid cake, modeled after the ones I saw in Chichen Itza. I don't honestly remember if I got a good grade or not but I distinctly remember it being delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment