Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Art Institute of California - Orange County



This shirt was from my college. Either just entering it or just leaving it.
It was given out as a quasi-promo item but more of an advertising method for future students. They probably have boxes and boxes of these shirts and still make you pay for them in the bookstore.
Even though the shirt is heavily mass produced it is still fairly well made. The fabric isn't awful, it's heavy and sturdy. I was just thinking, I would bet that 90% of my shirts are made in the same place in China and are exactly the same. How I judge the average quality of each one seems to just vary by how much in like the particular design or franchise. But I digress. There really isn't enough ink to make a call on it.
On the front is the school's logo with the location. "Ai" for The Art Institute and then California - Orange County. It's in Costa Mesa but that still counts. The college is an art school for people who don't value the "traditional" college experience. It's not a lot frats and sports, it is more geared for learning what you need to know to hold down a job in your chosen field. The teachers suffer from the "those who can't do, teach" syndrome which makes it so you have a lot of industry professional professors. The student population would be as if you brought together your local high-school's D&D, anime, video game and gourmet clubs and stuck them a in the same place and made them "do art". This shirt represents all of that but you just can't see it in the picture.
I typically only wear this when I need a red/non-black shirt or am going to a place where your college is going to be what defines you. Like an event with a lot of college kids, meeting someone's parents or a parent's friend's party where a prime topic might be where their kids are in school or jobs or things like that.

I may not be 100% proud of going to this school but I'll defend wearing the shirt as a sign of pride. I doubt it will ever get me a job or hook me up with the cool kids. I just wear it casually to remind me of my "college days" -boy does that make me sound old or what?-. Long nights over a drafting table with my dad, swapping image manipulation work for physics pages, epic 8-bit co-op games in the lounge and more caffeine than I'll probably ever drink again.

No comments:

Post a Comment