Wednesday, December 15, 2010

PACMAN



I told my mom to buy this shirt for me.
This definitely was purchased at the same time as the Scooby-Doo shirt. I got it at JCPenny when they were really into graphic tees.
Back to black with a graphic on the front. It's even got white lettering on the back. This is definitely one of my shirts. Like the Scooby-Doo shirt, this has extra-thick ink on the front which is so heavy you can feel it raised off the cloth. They may have used a lot of ink but it is really showing its age. The ink is cracking and there are a few holes in the fabric.
On the front of the shirt are three of the four ghosts from Pacman:
From right to left, Blinky, Inky and Clyde. For some reason they left out Pinky. On the back is the word Pacman. It kinda looks like a jersey from the back, as if it was your name.
This is in the canon of gamer T-shirts. If you're a borderline geek or just starting out with accessorizing, this shirt will probably appeal to you. Tons of people will get this reference; if not, of course there's a tip on the back. Yet another shirt in my line of "shirts that are bait for nerd conversations." Even older geeks will take a crack at striking up a conversation with a wearer of this shirt. I'll wear it most anywhere, if I'm going to a place with younger people or kids I'll wear it to feel OG -in hopes that someone will actually not recognize it-.

A big problem with this shirt is that so many people have it. While it is a sweet Pacman reference, a lot of other people think so too and snagged it. Firstly, I need to make sure not to meet someone wearing the same thing -faux pas-. Secondly, when someone notices or comments on the shirt I want to make sure that they know what's up; so I give them a little test. I'll say something like, "f-yeah, Pacman right?" and follow up with either, "Can you name them all?" or maybe even, "Can you tell me which one is missing?" This is my level of gamer test, where I can judge if someone is just patronizing me or is a genuine, old school gamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment