Wednesday, December 29, 2010

MIT - Massachusetts Institute of Technology




Parents bought this as a souvenir.
Just after junior year of high school, my parents took me to a bunch of prospective colleges. When we went to MIT mom and dad bought this because they knew I am a big fan of MIT and probably were hoping a little bit themselves. This shirt is probably out of fashion by now but you could have gotten it at their bookstore or online as well, I would imagine.
White shirt, medium, one color black ink. It is one of the few college shirts I have, I doubt I need more but it's just an interesting point. It doesn't really look like a college shirt with the big embroidered initials and bold school colors.
Even though this shirt doesn't match the traditional college apparel formula it represents the college well, and that's why I picked it out. It is a very simple design. It has the letters "MIT" on the front with the full name under it "Massachusetts Institute of Technology". The letters are printed in a halftone dot pattern but they did not have to, they could have just as easily printed it full strength. They chose this method -a few years before the color halftone thing was cool again- not for the design trend but for the cool optical illusion that it creates. I feel like this represents the school well: not too commercial or Greek just a standard shirt with a clever, science oriented design.
This was in my normal run for the longest time. That being the case, I wasn't too concerned where I wore it. I might pull it out for a particularly nerd friendly meet up or a LAN party when they would pop up from time to time. It's a nice shirt to wear if you're maybe trying to raise your perceived intelligence. An MIT shirt on a senior in high school can mean a lot across a crowded room.

Back in the day -like 6 years ago- I was a pure techie. I wanted to be a sys-admin or a programmer, something to do with high level computers. As time went on I picked up an A+ certification, a Cisco CCNA certification and lots of LAN party experience. I quickly realized that I would hate to spend the rest of my days working with broken computers and idiotic users. MIT is a lofty goal for the nerdy, I opted for a decidedly more right-brained field of study.

No comments:

Post a Comment