Monday, December 6, 2010

Whasssuuup? Hawaii



This was a souvenir from Hawaii.
I have not been to Hawaii in years so this was from one of those random gift shops. And I'm not talking about Hilo Hatties, I mean like a B-list one that's super cheap where you can get stuff for Everybody on your list and still stay under budget. Someone must have gotten this for me as a gift 'cuz I would hope that my taste in tees isn't this bad. =\
The shirt was too big for me back then, even though it's a medium, but I've grown into it. Dispite being low quality and generic, it actually has 3 colors screened onto it: white, for the text, tan for the hand and like a beige for the highlights of the hand. I have worn this a ton and it is still in good condition, though I usually pick a different shirt if this one comes up.
The quote on the front is a relic from a long time past. Back when people would say, "waszzzuuuupppp?" to each other and stick their tongues out. I think it culminated in a TV commercial by the end, then it died. It also has the traditional hang loose hand that Hawaii is famous for. It is really kind of tacked on there as an afterthought. Ohh yeah, it also says Hawaii, at the bottom, in the smallest font on the shirt, just so you have some reason to buy this shirt over a random one while on vacation; remember, it's a souvenir! This whole shirt lacks design but that is what it was made for; just some college kid to wear out drinking with his buddies. That leads me to my next point.
This shirt is like advertising that you are willing to jump on the bandwagon of a stupid joke. Or that you don't find it that annoying in the first place... or you genuinely want to know whasssuuuppp. I usually can't bring myself to actually want to wear this shirt. I mean, if I wear it in public it is inviting criticism. All I can do is wear this around people who knew the fad back when it was popular and then died; just so they know I've got it on sarcastically or as a memory of "good times", "back in the day".

I used to think Hawaii was awesome. It was this exotic place where, if you had the chance to go anywhere, you'd choose there. I really did enjoy the beauty and the Japanese influence when I went. At this point though I'm just so jaded that I don't really want to go back very badly. I can't seem to get into the "going somewhere to relax and do nothing" mindset. I mean, I'll hang loose, I love living easy, I just don't need to front a plane ticket and resort accommodations to do it. Seriously though, I don't wear this around. And when I have, I get people going, "Whasssuuup?!" in a mocking tone, they laugh and the room laughs and I die a little inside; those are the "moments" I have with this shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment