Saturday, May 7, 2011

4Color Fantasies Private Screening




I redeemed this from a fat guy in a movie theater at 11:45 last night.
Several weeks before this I visited a hole in the wall comic book shop out in Rancho Cucamonga. My friend Alex suggested them because A) it is his Local Comic book Shop and B) they hold private screenings for new comic book based movies. So what happens is you go to their store, buy a premium priced ticket and put your name on a list. Once you arrive on the night of the show they give you a free bag of goodies to go along with it. It has stuff like candy, cookies, a shirt and a free comic book (this time it was Thor). You could have only gotten them if you went to the event.
It's nice though because you choose the shirt size ahead of time and they just have it waiting the when you arrive. I've had comic book tees before but never a comic book store tee and I think this is my only Marvel based one. The print quality of the image is just fine but they only did it in one color... For a store called "4color Fantasies" you would expect it to be in four color... Or maybe that's just a bit on the nose.
On the front right it has all of the store's info: "4color Fantasies - Comics, Card Games, Pop Culture - Rancho Cucamonga 909-563-8751." Pretty much a business card right there. The back is way more dynamic and awesome. It also has the "4color Fantasies" logo at the top but below that is an epic illustration of Thor the god of thunder. The drawing was probably pretty cool on paper but didn't translate well to being printed in one color. By the look of it the artist who drew it wasn't familiar with the format or wasn't told how it was going to be used before they put it to paper. Below Thor is all of the specific information about that night's event: "Thor Private Screening. May 6, 2011 Midnight. Edwards 20 Ontario IMAX". They even included what I assume were the sponsors for this event "Regal Entertainment Group" and "Coca-Cola".
This is a completely new genre of shirt so I don't really know where I would wear it or what the ideal scenario would be. I suppose any day near the release of Thor would be fine -to show that you are a fan-. Near the DVD/BluRay release would be great too. Since this isn't MY local comic book store I would feel weird about "repping" it around being like, "Yeah, 4Color Fantasies is awesome, I always go there". Especially since I've only been there once. I think I'll just wear it because it has a lot of underground comic book culture feeling to it, which I think is very cool.

The night was awesome. I've you're a real fan of a movie you'll go to the midnight/first showing. The shear excitement in the air is worth it but there's so much more. People who know the move or its source material will provide a near interactive moviegoing experience. You can "gasp" at all the continuity problems, "cheer" at  the comic book Easter eggs and laugh when Stan Lee shows up on screen for like 2 seconds. If you know who Thor is you should go see his movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment