Sunday, May 22, 2011

Comdex


I got this as a promo item from Comdex years ago.
My friend Mike and I thought it would be awesome if we went to one of the premier tech expos in the states. We couldn't get into the awesome Nintendo one in Japan and we didn't have any connections to get into E3. We found out about Comdex from the Cisco Networking class that we took and basically browsing the Internet all day. You had to be "industry only" to get in so Mike and I founded the company "Killbot Industries" and became the President/CEOs to get in. You can probably get these at any of their conventions and maybe even online. This particular one has been modified since I didn't have a blank black shirt at the time -meaning the design on the back is unique-.
http://www.comdex.com/
The shirt is exactly what I would expect from a promotional item for a show like this one. They also do the Game Developers Expo so they have some idea of what they're doing. The ink is crappy and only in one color but what can you expect for free? I chose to reuse this particular shirt because it is black, the right size, cool enough to wear around regardless and I had already gotten enough use out of it. I tend to just grab random shirt and deface them if I become inspired and am too poor/lazy to run out to Target to get new blank shirt.  Plus, I have a Comdex hat to go along with it so I'm not 100% out of Comdex merch when I upcycled this shirt. Unfortunately, this was in the early days of iron-ons and the quality is super low so it has cracked and deteriorated quickly since I have worn it.
On the front it has the entirety of what this shirt used to say: "COMDEX" and their tagline "The Global Technology Marketplace". Their logo may be professional but boy it sure is boring. Once I got over that being cool I decided to try out some iron-on design with it. The logo on the back was something that I mashed up with US professional sports and the game Guilty Gear. At the time I was really into playing the character May and the culture around fighting games gets fairly competitive, as you can imagine. Basically it's May's weapon -an anchor- with the NBA/MLB's logo treatment.
The general idea is that I am an "athlete" or "competitor" or whatever and I specialize in this character at a "professional" level. This is all big talk and in no way am I even in the same ballpark as a genuine sportsperson. Going to tournaments and becoming part of the local fighting game community has a certain sense of belonging and satisfaction -a secret club, if you know what I mean-. I haven't worn this shirt in a long time but very few people actually get the reference. I assume that people think it's just an American Navy shirt and it probably sends all the wrong signals -not that there's anything wrong with the Navy, it's just not what I was going for-. I still use this symbol as my Steam icon to this day.

I've worn this to some video game club meetings at Cypress with Mike as well as around my college. I find that no one recognizes the anchor as being from Guilty Gear. I really like the symbol though, so like, if I win with the character maybe I'll point to the back of my shirt or like bring it up in conversation because I made it custom. I even took it to Japan to wear around in the arcades. Of course I look like a huge nerd but that's really where you want to be looking like a huge nerd. It would be like the main place that people would recognize it. The worst part was that I got completely schooled by some Japanese dude at Guilty Gear that day, so sad, yet awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment