Friday, May 6, 2011

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines


Another gift from Moke.
This one is very obviously from GameStop. I wasn't around when they were giving these out but with such a big logo on the back I can only assume they were given out to employees to promote the game. The design is very dated now so there's no way you can get one these days. Maybe somebody has got an extra lying one in their back drawer, ask around.
I will give it to the designers of this shirt that the print looks just like the box art. Someone spent a lot of time changing all the colors over so they would look good once screen printed out. The girl looks kind of dead but that's the point. Overall, I don't have that many plain video game shirts and I'm happy to add this one because of its rarity. Apparently a lot of people played Vampire: The Masquerade back in the day. Fans love the nostalgia goggles. I'm stoked about another black graphic tee... I am less stoked that it is an extra-large.
The main picture on the front of the shirt is a well know piece of production art from the game "Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines". I think it may have even been used as cover art in some regions. The character featured is named Therese/Jeanette, a pair of sisters who share the same body. She is the main eye candy from the game and, through interacting with her, players can help her choose one of the personas as well as eventually sleeping with her. The picture is surrounded by a lackluster red frame and the logo from the box. On the back of the shirt is the "GameStop" about as big as they could print it across the shoulders.
This shirt goes well with my "smut as graphic art" theme that I enjoy but they really didn't put a lot of thought into this particular design so the idea is kind of killed. The shirt really feels like a blatant advertising ploy with some art they had lying around the office. I'll wear it, but I just hope someone recognizes the game and enjoys the reference. Because any hope of this being a nice "illustration" or "character design" gets tainted by all the sleazy logos and treatments on this design.

I wore this out today, unfortunately from a distance it was mistaken for Thor apparel. I corrected them and we went about our business, that's about it. I imagine that this would have to be a shirt that you brought up in a conversation or forcibly directed attention to so that you could talk about Vampire: The Masquerade. It's no fault of the game's that this shirt is uninspired; slutty vampire girls can only take something so far when completely selling out.

No comments:

Post a Comment