Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Indigo Tribe



As the comics went on so did the shirts.
The origin of this shirt is the same as most of the others. Since I got them from Graphitti before or only bought them at retail I felt like I should continue that tradition. I didn't want to buy them online or from a big store because I had been "indie" or buying them "correctly" -as I saw fit-. It may be harder to find this at a normal retailer now but you can definitely get them at a con or online.
http://www.graphittidesigns.com/shop/INDIGO-LANTERN-SYMBOL-T-Shirt.html
To be honest I was a little let down by the color of this shirt. I assume that they didn't want to make it full on indigo or purple or lilac or whatever because their main market is men. They probably had this color in their, lets say, book of color swatches and were like, "That one's close enough and not too girly". I was hoping to add another color to my collection that I didn't already have but I suppose not. I mean, this shade of indigo is not an awful color, it just doesn't match what they use in the comics, which is more of a medium purple. The color also matches with the logo in the center -which also deviates from the comics colors-. But the ink is still amazing and I get all the shirts in medium so that I have some continuity.
In the front is the symbol of the Indigo Tribe. They are technically a "Lantern Corps" but they are very mysterious and have strange mannerisms and dialects. Lead by a mysterious female, who only revers to herself as "Indigo-1" the Indigo Tribe seems to exist to bring balance to the war of light. Instead of Lanterns the Indigo members use a staff as a tool and a power source charge their rings. An indigo ring will grant its user the power of any ring it comes in contact with. If we were watching Captain Planet this would be the "Heart" ring, in that it also has the power to make people see things your way, the ring brings out great empathy in others and is designed to bring all the Corps together. The Tribe members speak a strange foreign tongue that even a universal translator can't decode; so their oath is a little cryptic:
Tor lorek san, bor nakka mur,
Natromo faan wot ur.
Ter Lantern ker lo Abin Sur,
Taan lek lek nok--Formorrow Sur!
The Indigo tribe is probably the least known of the new Corps because they are so mysterious. That is the cool part though, if you actually read the comics you know that they are the keystone in combining the spectrum of light, uniting the corps and saving the Earth. The symbol looks really close to the Green Lantern one and the color is very close to the Blue Lantern color so it tends to get mistaken for the others sometimes but at least they're in the right ballpark. All I really want is for people to know this is a superhero shirt, that's all I'm asking for.

Today was one of the most successful days for the Indigo Tribe shirt. I've worn this before on several occasions -I really like the idea of a compassion themed shirt- with little response. But I think that since the Blackest Night arc ended almost a year ago people have caught up to the plot and have begun recognizing this logo. Or perhaps they are now on the lookout for other colored Green Lantern shirts. Either way I found that explaining this to someone is really hard since there is so little know about them and it's really hard to define them without spoiling most of Blackest Night. I'll have to start speaking in tongues and handing out copies of Tales of the Corps next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment