Thursday, May 5, 2011

White Lantern


I'll start the blog entry today by saying this is the last of the Green Lantern shirts. It has been a rough few weeks and you might be happy to know that I got this one because it was the final one in the Blackest Night series.

I also go this at the Graphitti Designs booth -an awesome t-shirt licensor-. But this one was at San Diego Comic-Con instead of Wondercon in San Francisco. By this point I was ready to buy this shirt and had plenty of money to do so. Since this corps got its own monthly comic you can probably find one in any local comicbook shop or website.
http://www.graphittidesigns.com/shop/BRIGHTEST-DAY-SYMBOL-T-Shirt.html
I was really anticipating buying this shirt for a few months. I didn't want to get it before I had read all of the comics leading up to it. To get this done I first started with some research. I figured out the current plot of Green Lantern and made a guide: I had already been though Parallax, the Rann-Thanagar war, and knew the basics of the "Final Crisis". I wanted to become a true fan or at least start on some encyclopedic knowledge of the current continuity. The next step was leading up to Blackest Night: the Sinestro Corps War, the new Secret Origins of Hal Jordan and the Emerald Knights. I then compiled a list of all the comics that were involved in the Blackest Night, this included all of the origins of the separate corps. Then, I literally put together a list of each of the single comic books that were being published throughout the next year or so -there's actually a finite number and they designed it this way-. I started buying them and now have the complete collection. I find that this collection is one of my nerdiest moments but I feel like I should do stuff like that every once in a while to keep my geek cred up. With a collection like this getting apparel to match seems like the next logical step.
The shirt itself is very standard and iconic, I love it. All it has is the Graphitti logo on the arm -which you can rarely make out in the pictures- and the White Lantern corps symbol in black and white on the chest. It is very similar to the Black Lantern design from yesterday but with radiating lines instead of straight, rising lines. As with light, the White Lantern power is from all of the different colors coming together as one -not to spoil the story but you get the idea-. A White Lantern ring bearer has the power to bring life, in many different ways, and that's all I'm gonna say -I'll let your imagination take it from here-.
I don't honestly expect anyone to recognize this shirt other than comic book regulars. If you are up to date on your Green Lantern or have been in a comic book store in the last year or so you Should know what's up. If not, the Brightest Day symbol is pretty interesting and I would expect people to inquire about it. Since the comic is popular at the moment, any notice of this shirt might be muted at best since it's around a lot.

The Brightest Day is really awesome but nearly impossible to describe to someone new. To really do it right you have to start from the beginning. That is precisely why I began researching it in the first place. The entire Green Lantern universe is something that I am very passionate about and want to get everyone in on. So, if you don't know the story yet, go to your local comic shop, book reseller, Wikipedia or just stop by sometime and join the Corps.

No comments:

Post a Comment