Monday, November 22, 2010

Perfect World



I grabbed this shirt as free swag.
It originated from the Perfect World Entertainment booth at E3. Some booth babe was handing them out at their main desk.
Black shirt, white ink, and they only had it in large or extra large. So, while this does fall in my choice style of shirt it's on the super cheap side. The company has gone as far as to team up with the printing company Zazzle so that you can make whatever kind of shirt you want:
http://www.zazzle.com/perfectworldint
The front has got this weird runic sun circle thing. I have absolutely no idea what it is, like maybe it's a symbol of a perfect world? or like some kind of summoning circle, maybe just some key art that they had lying around which someone thought would look good on a shirt, I don't know. And on the back is the name of the game "Perfect World" and their website.
Since I picked this up at this years E3 I haven't even worn it that many times. This shirt falls in a kind of limbo. I don't like the game that it is from in particular. I dislike it because it is a Chinese Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game  and they tend to be poorly constructed and experience grinding based. Also, I don't like the fact that it is a large and so cheaply designed. Even though it has all of that against it the simple facts that it is free, rare and only from E3 saves it from a life of obscurity. For me, anything rare is going to trump most of the drawbacks of a shirt or item. I wear this Perfect World shirt in hopes that someone who also went to E3 this year will see it and know that it's rare and that we both were able to go to an industry only Expo.

In my opinion, this whole company needs to figure out what it's doing. Last year they had cheap, branded, ballpoint pens and flyers available. They're a Chinese company trying to sell a very Asian style game to an already saturated market -with games like World of Warcraft and the like.- When I got this shirt from their booth, there was a big pile of them on their table with a girl standing watch. My friend and I approached her and asked if we could have one, she first asked, "did you try our game today?" We replied that we hadn't, -it looked really bad and I had played it the year before.- She gave us each a shirt, we took some pictures and booked it -with bigger fish to fry than some Chinese online game.- Even though I recognize my hypocrisy in complaining about the strict giveaway tactics of some companies only a few days ago; I feel like they're just screwing themselves by giving free merchandise to people who have little to negative interest in the game. Forcing people to actually trying the title before they hand out promotional material might be a step in be right direction or at least designing a better piece of apparel if that is going to be a major point of contact. They have got to make some distinction between blanket promotion and communicating genuine product familiarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment