Friday, November 12, 2010

Space Ace


I probably shouldn't have, but I bought this shirt for myself. I mean, I have so many I had to create a blog simply to justify having them all!
I snagged it from the Stylin Online booth this year at Long Beach Comic-con. It was pretty cheap and since I was at the booth there was no extra cost for shipping.
http://www.stylinonline.com/t-shirt-space-ace-blast.html
This is what I consider a high quality shirt. Or at least a modern shirt. Firstly, it's a medium that fits me well, and -of course- black. The print job -while still being able to judge the edges of their printable area- is in full color on black, which used to be hard to get back in the day.
This features all the main characters from the classic LaserDisk game "Space Ace" by Don Bluth, one of my favorite animation directors. The arcade game followed the adventures of Ace and his voluptuous girlfriend Kimberly as they try to defeat the evil Borf and stop him from taking over the Earth. It was made up of little animated sequences that you had a bit if control over as they played out. Because all you really had was a joystick and very few lives this game was ridiculously difficult and you would have to take out a loan in tokens just to get halfway good at it. It is really unlike any other game -except Dragons Lair, but it's made by the same guy so whatever- therefore I love finding any merch that relates to it.
This is a New shirt for me so I want to wear it ASAP, even if it's not as appropriate. But, I would love to wear this to an arcade or a video game club meeting, maybe like the Game Developers Conference or the Electronic Entertainment Expo. Really, I'll wear this anywhere just so I can tell people how awesome this game is and about Don Bluth studios -and its tragic demise. Since it's black and printed well, I'd feel comfortable wearing this most places but if someone was like, "Ohh snap! Space Ace, I used to play that, it's impossible!" they would receive the very highest of fives.

I always see the Stylin Online booths at the major comic book expos, SDCC, Wondercon, AX, etc. They have these gigantic booths with t-shirts from top to bottom, inside and out. And the selection ranges from "Ponies forever" shirts to Halo to Power Rangers and back again, if you're pro you know all the obscure references of all the shirts. At some conventions -really big ones- they'll even have multiple booths in the same convention hall just to make sure they have appropriate coverage for the coming geek hoards. I always try to resist but when they have shirts like this its like, "Damn you Stylin Online! Now I have to buy this or I'm just not a true fan. Ohh a buy 2 and save deal?! Dragons Lair shirt!?" *purchase* Ohh Stylin Online, just take all my money and give me shirts forever...

2 comments:

  1. I actually own space ace and dragons lair for Mac. And they only give you five lives, there's no way to get anymore. So if you screw up five times, you have to start all fucking over. And i'm telling you, figuring out which direction to push at exactly the right time is impossible. I once got about fifteen minutes through the animated sequences, but that was a total fluke. People who are good at space ace and dragon's lair just have no lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They should really just release a DVD/Blu-Ray set of the animations. It could come with tokens and shattered dreams in the collectors edition.

    ReplyDelete