Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Rock Bottom Remainders



Bought this shirt, or maybe it was being given away. =/
The LA book fair is a fun day trip and I got this shirt there, it was either really cheap or free.
It's a plain white tee with black printing on the front, nothing on the back, and it's a large (even more evidence it may have been given to me free).
The band depicted on this shirt takes a bit of explaining before it makes sense. What we have here is the band "The Rock Bottom Remainders" (alluding to books that don't sell well or have been trashed). They are a band of world famous writers, critics, poets and authors who play to benefit charities. They consist of (it's a pretty long list):
Dave Barry, Stephen King, Amy Tan, Maya Angelou, Cynthia Heimel, Kathi Kamen Goldmark, Sam Barry, Ridley Pearson, Scott Turow, Joel Selvin, James McBride, Mitch Albom, Roy Blount Jr., Barbara Kingsolver, Robert Fulghum, Matt Groening, Tad Bartimus, Greg Iles, Josh Kelly, Erasmo Paulo.
I rarely wear this shirt because no one has any idea who this band is. I mean it's a fun talking piece but people don't usually know the authors or I can't remember who they are without having to look them up on my phone lol. It's also hard to wear a white shirt with so little on it without the fear of getting stains >< I would like to wear this to a book signing or a novel release event or maybe next year's book fair. A spectacular opportunity has yet to present itself.
http://www.rockbottomremainders.com/

The book fair at UCLA is a fun day to browse rare and unique books, get new opinions on things and just discover stuff you've never heard of. I really don't have any interesting anecdotes about this shirt because I haven't worn it in front of anyone who gets it, except my mom (who's a doctoral professor of library science). The day that the Rock Bottom Remainders shirt gets recognized I am going to be so in. It's gonna be like, "Oh, so you're a fan? You must be quite well read..." But yeah, there's a certain circle of people who get it, and I think I'm below the required reading level or IQ or something (defiantly something I'd like to be a part of).

5 comments:

  1. who's hand is that on your shoulder?! creepy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I paid retail price for the shirt, which is unusual for me, but I really like the authors, and thought it would be a limited edition T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lesley, well that solves that mystery! Sometimes greatness is thrust upon you (in shirt form)=P

    ReplyDelete