Saturday, November 27, 2010

Stanford



To be frank, I'm not sure what the origin of this shirt is.
There are a few different places where it could have come from. There's a chance it was from my Dad, since he went to Stanford and was still a huge fan. Perhaps from one of my uncles, who went to Stanford, along with their parents who taught there. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a hand-me-down from someone or something I picked up from a garage sale or flea market. They've got some varied shirts for sale on their site, but not this exact one.
http://www.gostanford.com/store
It is a nice grey shirt. Close to black but not quite white. Yup, that's grey, a nice medium between the two. I do enjoy a grey shirt every once and a while, it's not quite as ostracizing as a straight black shirt. My thinking here is that this shirt wasn't originally purchased for me because it's an extra large and is gigantic on me!
I don't have many college shirts -my college wasn't big on athletics- so this one stands out. It is a fairly basic shirt, but since it's classic, just the crest and the logo are enough to carry it. All it is is the school name "Stanford" in the classic college font. It is in the school colors: red with a white outline. The front also has the red "S" in crimson and the tree that the school was founded on and the band uses as its mascot. This has been the brand for the school for several decades, so I think they're okay using it wherever they want.
Since I've had this shirt for while, it goes in my normal cycle and comes around from time to time. I don't like wearing it that often because it is so big on me. I personally don't really mind it so much but it kinda feels awkward to wear it in public. I like to pick it out if I want to be lazy around the house or just be more relaxed than normal. The best place to wear this would be either around Stanford sports fans or people who appreciate the quality of school it has been for generations. If a stray Cal fan happens to pass by it might just sweeten the deal.

My favorite memory with this on was at the Stanford - Cal game several years back. It has been the long standing battle for the ax -which goes to whoever wins the annual game-. The match was at Cal that year and we had to drive all the way there, thorough the anti-Stanford crowds. That rivalry was deeper than I had imagined a feud like that could be. I mean they had warpaint, straw men and murals, the whole 9 yards. I gotta admit it was very intimidating from a fan's perspective. My Dad, Mike and I were in the stands, cheering for Stanford. We won the game that day and after the final whistle the campus police had to run onto the field to keep the fans from tipping over the loser's goalpost -as is tradition-. This shirt always reminds me of driving home after the game that day, though all of Cal's Greek row, as winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment