Monday, April 18, 2011

CAPCOM



Moke brought this to me in a plastic shopping bag.
It came along with a whole bunch of other shirts that he scoured from his personal collection. It seems that as I get closer and closer to the end of the blog -by running out of shirts- people are coming in at the last moment with more tees! They're not top quality but who cares as I've been known to say on multiple occasions, I'll wear almost any shirt that I get, regardless of its origin. In today's case Moke got this from work when he was employed at GameStop back in 2003. In fact, the next 10 or so shirts are from a similar source so don't be too surprised when a whole bunch of GameStop exclusives show up. I don't think that they made these commercially available so if you wanted to get one you'll have to pester your old friends who used to work there.
On one hand the shirt was free so Capcom could have made it as cheaply as they wanted since it was being handed out for free. But on the other hand this wasn't just a collectors item, it was advertising dollars hard at work. If they had a crappy shirt people might think they have a crappy game. I was told that this specific shirt wasn't worn much but the ink is already cracking and splitting on the front and back -not a good sign-. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth but this is an extra-large, I ran it through the wash for good measure so it feels like it has shrunk significantly. As a rare, video game related, promotional, black graphic tee this fits in my collection perfectly.
Nice and understated, on the front is the "CAPCOM" logo in blue and yellow. It's subtle and businesslike with just the company name on the left breast, it invites you to check out the back -maybe it's a Street Fighter or Devil May Cry design, let's find out-. Well too bad, because it's actually "Resident Evil: Dead Aim". The picture is just the cover for this game. Originally on PlayStation 2, this title deviated from the franchise by being first and third person perspective while incorporating the lightgun too. It's actually part of a short line of lightgun Resident Evil games that is now on the Wii. You had to move around with the d-pad and then fire at the screen. This was one of the few games I actually got a GunCon for on my PS2 -it wasn't worth it-. For the design, they didn't even change it from the box art, except taking the fat PlayStation 2 logo off the top, they did have a clever little idea of making the edges ragged so it doesn't look completely lame with a 1:1 print taking up the entire printable area.
This is a fun shirt to wear around nerds and industry professionals -who are just slightly older nerds-. If people are too young they wouldn't get the reference since it came out in like 2003, but it might just get the word out there about it. Lightgun games are pretty sweet, at least for the first 20 minutes or so, then your fingers get tired from pulling the trigger and your arms grow weary from holding up the gun and you just call it.  They're really more fun in the arcades anyway.

To be honest I didn't think this would get any shout outs but I was wrong. I mean with such an old/obscure title I had assumed that either someone might ask because the graphic is so gaudy or because it is a Resident Evil game they hadn't heard about. But no! Someone at work was like, "I have one of those shirts too." I took a double take and asked him where he got it from -since I thought I was hot stuff for having an exclusive shirt like this-. He said that one of his friends from GameStop hooked him up, but that his was really small on him 'cuz that's all they had left. I commented that mine was really big. I should have organized a trade. >_>

2 comments:

  1. haha yeah, it wasnt worn...but it is also old and was left in a bin in gamestop...then relegated to bin status in my room. >__> i make no reservations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like everyone's been though the bin once or twice. GameStop was a hell of a place. But then it got suuuuper lame hahah

    ReplyDelete