Friday, April 22, 2011

Green Lantern


I bought this for myself as I was really getting into comics.
I'll start off by saying that it's not official. When I was just starting with the whole comic book nerd thing I did a lot of things like that, getting stuff online, checking out Wikis, borrowing trades etc. I was trying to absorb a lot of information and cred in a very short period of time. I got the shirt from one of the vendors at Frank & Son's Collectible Show. They had made a whole bunch of plain colored tees with single color logos screened on them. Stuff like the Transformers, Thundercats, bands etc.  The box of shirts looked like extras or rejects almost, they were pretty sorry looking to say the least. But it only cost 5 bux so I jumped on it.
The only Green Lantern shirt that I had before this one was the golden age one of Hal Jordan from Target -it was so mainstream-. Then again, everyone wears this type of shirt now so there isn't much to say. I really prefer this kind of design to one with characters on it. It feels like something closer to a costume or what a character might wear. This became one of my few green shirts but, as you can see I have worn it a ton. The ink on it is just about the lowest quality you can get for shirts, it has cracked, broken and worn. I did plan for this however. Brand new, the logo was all white and pristine, I could tell that it was fairly bad and would wear out quickly so this was an opportunity. As it quickly degraded my comic book cred went up!
The shirt is just the logo for the Green Lantern Corps. White on a green shirt, that's it. No copyright logos, no company insignias just a Green Lantern knocked out of a white circle. Green Lantern is a DC superhero who's power is derived from a ring that is worn at all times. It allows for force fields, flight and the creation of hard light objects. What you can make with the ring is only limited by your willpower and creativity. That's what I like about it so much. There are many many Green Lanterns -over several thousand- but Earth has 4 main ones: Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, John Stewart and Guy Gardener, there's also Alan Scott, he's like a bonus square. Their rings only last 24 hours on one charge, to recharge it they have to recite the oath:
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"
This is my #1 go-to shirt for comic book related events. Unless there is a shirt that better represents the event -like a movie screening or specific panel or something- I like to wear this one. Whether it's a signing, a LCS, Frank's, a convention or hanging with friends, I want people to know that I like Green Lantern for some reason. Maybe it makes me feel powerful or special or something. I have a rule with shirts like this, or any that have a superhero or logo on them. I figure, that if you are wearing a comic book shirt to look cool or to say something about yourself you should at least be able to name the character's alter ego or their villains or SOMETHING. We're just getting too many posers in the fandom with all of the new movies. So if you are wearing a Green Lantern shirt be prepared to name your favorite one, the more obscure the better.

One day back in college I wore this to one of the club days. There were a couple of us manning the marketing club booth. We had buttons and I thought I was so clever and put one right on the center circle of the logo. It looked pretty awesome to be fair -Marketing Man!-. If you take a look at the picture though, you can still see the two holes where the pin went in and out of the shirt and rocked around all day. It now has a like vampire bite in the center but who am I to complain, cool is cool right?

No comments:

Post a Comment