Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Samus



This is my second in a long line of Moke donations.
With the way these posts turn out all of these new shirts are going to last me another two weeks. Time flies when you're having fun. Like yesterday, the source of the shirt is my good friend Moke and his source was work. I guess when you work at GameStop it's a nonstop party of free swag and playing video games all day -I'm sure of it-. Nintendo gave these out around the release of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes if you preordered it and never put them up for individual sale. So if you're looking to get one, bug your own GameStop employee friend. And if that friend is Moke then ha! I got there first. Also eBay, they might have them too.
I know Moke doesn't wear an extra-large so that's one of the reasons I was able to pick up some if these remainders. This shirt is a large but after a couple washes it fits me just fine. Although the ink is cracking and wearing off in a few places. I'll bet Nintendo had only intended them to look good for the first few months, once that hit they could just deteriorate away. Even though this shirt hasn't been worn yet and was just sitting in a pile in a drawer it's already looking "distressed". Thank god that a weathered look is cool in modern graphic tees or I'd be screwed. I usually try to seek out black shirts with designs but this olive green look can still work on occasion, given that this particular shirt is a hard to find, official, video game tee. One of the things that separates this from a lot of my others is that with the little name tag on the front and brand on the back it doubles as an artifact/cosplay item -adding just another dab of awesome-.
The front is pretty self explanatory: there is a little white oval on the left chest, like a name tag, it reads "Samus". If you are any level of gamer you should already know that this is referencing Samus Aran of the Metroid series of games. Like yesterday's, this is another tease from the front to the back designs. Basically meaning that someone would see this name, realize the reference and either ask to see the back or just take a peek. So, the back says, "Universal Bounty Hunters: 'Saving the universe one planet at a time'". I suppose it should read "Bounty hunter hunter" since they're usually Samus' prey but who's counting. At the very top it has the logo for the game: "Metroid Prime 2: Echoes".
This is a fun shirt to wear in general. It's like subtle cosplay. Work shirts with name tags rose in popularity a few years back but they never grabbed hold. If you were a big fan -or just kept up to date on your gaming news- when this game came out you'll recognize this pre-order bonus and think that I'm hardcore -but secretly I didn't pre-order it-.

When I started playing the Metroid Prime games on GameCube it reinvigorated my love of consoles that had been over shadowed for so long by PC titles. There's something about being the savior of the planet foretold for centuries that gets the blood flowing. You can see my copy of this game in the pic, though I didn't know about the pre-order bonus until Moke told me.

No comments:

Post a Comment