Wednesday, April 13, 2011

MEXICO - Rosarito and Puerto Nuevo



This was the other shirt that my mom pulled out from storage or something the other day.
It was at the same time that the new/old Mickey Mouse shirt showed up. Since it says Tijuana at the bottom I can only assume that it came from there. It was probably at some tourist trap gift shop and was picked up for a few hundred Pesos, -right hundred? maybe thousand?- let's get real, it was most likely bought with US dollars haha. With such a stereotypical design you can probably still get these all over Mexico. Sounds like time for a ROAD TRIP.
First off, when I put this shirt on I thought the back was the front, maybe it should be; I like wearing big graphics on the front of shirts rather than the back. I prefer them that way because when I had long hair through college any shirt that had something on the back was nearly completely obscured by the hair. So now it doesn't matter but it's something I usually look for in a shirt. Also, I am really narcissistic and would like to see someone admiring/looking at my shirt in front of me rather than just knowing people are taking notice when they walk past or are behind me. Graphic tees on white are usually really cheap because the ink required is much cheaper, the design and manufacturing are also much simpler. I think this is probably the first time it has been worn, or the first time in a long time. It is a small -pequeño-, probably because it was purchased for me years ago and I never got it into my rotation or sideboarded it because I wasn't comfortable wearing it -it almost feels so cliché that it's racist, know what I mean?-.
On the front is a Aztec calendar. It represents the different cycles of the earth and stars but with symbols and pictographs instead of numbers. The calendar round was a 365 day calender consisting of eighteen 20-day months -with an extra 5 day week tacked on the end-. The front just has the very center of the circle on the left breast, while the back has the full thing in black, with white and blue gradients. Across the top it has the word "MEXICO" just as any great tourist shirt should. In addition to that, at the bottom, it goes into further detail, "Rosarito and Puerto Nuevo - TIJUANA".
When wearing this shirt I feel that the Mayan Calendar portrays Mexican/Hispanic pride. That could be a gross misconception on my part but in my head when I see it on a sticker or the side of a car or a bandana or something I get that message. Because of this fact, I try not to wear it anywhere that might offend. I mean, I'll wear it at home or around other people who travel for the fun of a Tijuana story or reference but I do not mean to step over any boundaries. Because I have no history with Mexico other than a few recreational trips there. If there is any generic plight going on then sure, I'll hop on the empathy bandwagon but, in general, I try to play this one close to the chest as it were.

I don't even remember wearing this shirt back in the day, or any time before just now for that matter. Well, if I  did in fact get this from a trip I might have worn it to school the next week -as I usually do- to boast. It's fun to regale people with anecdotes and experiences from trips when you get back, but from their perspective it may be just as boring/painful as watching a slide show of pictures -with actual slides-. This could be a fun shirt to wear with the upcoming 2012 doomsday predictions so I might just keep it around. On a side note, this shirts smells remarkably like my dad somehow, not sure how that happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment