Wednesday, April 6, 2011

SPLATTERHOUSE


Grabbed this one from E3 for free.
They were just handing them out at the Namco booth. It seems like shirts are a standard promo item for these conventions. That or I just gravitate to them like a moth to a flame. You can only get this design from last year's Electronic Entertainment Expo. There is another Splatterhouse shirt you can get online, it's just not as rare. If you have to have this particular one it looks like some dude is selling ones he got for free on Ebay for really jacked up prices.
They had a huge ass stack but by the time we got to them all they had left was large and extra large. This is a turn off for some people, so much so that they won't even grab it for free. Makes sense I suppose, if you're not gonna wear it leave it for other -more portly- folks. I'm cool with it because I can wear smalls, prefer mediums, deal with larges, and handle x-larges if the mood strikes. The printing is really nice, the design could use some polishing but the screen is heavy duty. They used red, grey, yellow and white with halftone dots to create this image with gradients and overlapping blood splatter. It even has a wide printed area, which is sometimes rare with free shirts.
I first thought that the mask and flat colors were really cheesy, it looks like a plastic toy, to be honest. But now that I am taking a critical look at it they really spent a lot of time mixing the color and shading to give it a detailed depth and mood. Across the chest it says "SPLATTERHOUSE" in a bloody, scratched, distressed font. The logo for the game also uses a mask as the "O" that you may be able to see in the picture. This is the title of a beat-em-up game that came out in 2010 on PS3 and 360. It was a reboot of a franchise that goes back to the late 80s.  Below that, sharing the crazy amount of blood is a berserk looking mask. The protagonist uses its power to cheat death, only to become a slave to the mask later in the game. I ended up playing Splatterhouse and enjoyed it, right up until the cliffhanger ending that I am still mad about. Not to be ones to miss out on taking credit where it's due, the back has the "Namco" logo and their website at the time:
http://www.namcogames.com
http://www.splatterhouse.com
I try and restrict the use of the crazy death mask shirt. You would imagine that people would be okay with random blood spatter on shirts but I guess we're still struggling with expression. So, I wear this when hanging out with friends or gamers in general. Work is usually okay too, since most of the people there went to E3 anyway and probably demoed this game. I suppose if I ever have an occasion to wear an extra-bloody shirt I'll know what to choose, maybe a metal concert or Rocky.

I've had people be genuinely put off by the "gore" in the design, so that's at least one point for realism. It's a sick shirt since it seems to grab people's attention. Just today, as I was meeting up with some new people; they noticed the shirt and it started a brief conversation. One of their friends had worked on the game, but not many of us had actually played the game. Apparently there was a really awesome collectors edition that came with a replica of this mask as well. Hmm, I didn't really have glowing reviews of Splatterhouse but it was definitely a horror show to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment