Saturday, April 30, 2011

Blue Lantern



I got the Hope corps shirt at the same time as the Star Sapphire shirt.
Fans can also get this from any local comic book shop, convention, or comic shirt website. This was at WonderCon at the cool Graphitti booth that I keep talking about. The blue lantern corps is not the most bad ass group but they're still awesome and have a big part in the Blackest Night. I wanted to get it as part of the set. There's another version where it has The Flash's lightning bolt in blue on top of this logo but I didn't really like that character in the Blackest Night, so I skipped the shirt. You can buy one right here if you want:
http://www.graphittidesigns.com/shop/BLUE-LANTERN-SYMBOL-T-Shirt.html
Blam! Fwoosh! Etc! Another shirt in the line of Blackest Night corps. Blue is probably one of my favorite colors and I only have a few shirts that are this nice color of blue. I also really like the members of this particular corps. They all have boundless hope and willingness to go on regardless of what the consequences might be. I think that this corps represents me the best and I was ecstatic to get this shirt in a medium.
The layout is just as elegant as all the others have been. The logo in the center is the Blue Lantern of hope, it is blank everywhere else -except the "Graphitti" logo on the sleeve-. The blue lantern corps was founded by the banished Guardians Ganthet and Sayd. They disagreed with the ideas of the other Green Lantern Guardians, so they broke off and started recruiting members to basically find enlightenment and wield the blue light of Hope. There are a few notables who have found themselves dragged into wearing a blue ring, among those being: The Flash, Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner and a few others. Their oath gives you thoughts of a better tomorrow:
In fearful day, in raging night,
With strong hearts full, our souls ignite,
When all seems lost in the War of Light,
Look to the stars-- For hope burns bright!
Since I feel like Hope is my corps of choice this has become one of my favorite shirts. I like to wear it almost anywhere that will allow a graphic tee. Comic book geeks will get the reference and know that I am really into Green Lantern, so much so that I went and got some very specific merchandise. If someone asks me what it represents I can just say that it means "Hope" -very Zen, right?-.

I've worn this to conventions and casual events alike. I only get a few different responses. My favorite of which is genuine intrigue. I haven't been able to put my finger on it but there's just something about someone else who is willing to take an interest in the things you like. Explaining Saint Walker's trials to become a Blue Lantern is a somber but inspiring tale and makes for a great story time. If someone already knows about the corps the best I usually get is a "Nice shirt" comment simply so they can tout their own ego for getting the obscure reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment