Thursday, April 7, 2011

Starfleet Academy

I bought this from a little merchandise table. 
I got it from the first Star Trek convention that I ever went to. It was a little less organized than most of the other conventions I go to. They have a vendor hall but there are only so many booths that you can have which are Star Trek related. Walking around the con I realized that I didn't have any awesome Star Trek merch. Well, I have a Voyager poster and a menu from Quarks in Las Vegas, but that's like nothing. I was strolling by tables with shirts on them, and spotted this beauty. I've always liked this logo and, because I used to live in Northern California, I thought it was so cool that it had a San Fransisco reference. I wish it had a Voyager logo on the back but, Next Gen is probably my second favorite. 
The element that sold me on this was the little patch on the arm. I've never had a shirt where that was anything more than an extra logo for the company. I love me some grey shirts and this has just a dash of cosplay in it. It fit me back in high/middle school but it's a small so it's one of my snug fitting shirts now. Usually shirts with a big design on the front get cracked and worn but I have kept it in pretty good condition. 
This shirt has a lot of stuff so just try and keep up. Starting with the logo: around the edge it says, "Starfleet Academy" the same thing that is at the bottom. This is where all beginning recruits would go to be trained in the Star Trek universe once joining up. Starfleet is like the UN but for space, they explore uncharted space and try to keep peace throughout the sector. On the left side of the triangle it says, "ex astris, scientia" their motto, meaning "From the stars, knowledge" -a play on the Apollo 13 motto, "Ex luna scientia"-. On the last side of the triangle it says "San Francisco and MMCLXI" 2161, the year and the location that the United Federation of Planets was founded. Inside the triangle is the Federation insignia that is used in "The Next Generation" era and the Golden Gate bridge. They added a clever touch on the arm which says "CADET", the rank you would be if you were just starting training. Finally, on the back is just the "Star Trek The Next Generation" logo from the show. It kind of breaks the "uniform" but it's still an awesome reference to the show.
I like wearing this at cons. Star Trek, comic book, sci-fi, video game, and even to troll people at Star Wars conventions. This is just in my standard circulation of tee shirts that I wear whenever I feel like. It exudes nerdiness. 

This kind of shirt gets lost in the crowd. Star Trek The Next Generation has been in syndication so long that this tee is almost expected with geeks. People have either already seen one just like it or have moved on to other shows and shirts. I still enjoy it because it always brings up one of two arguments: 1) Which series is best? and 2) Which captain is the best? For me, it's Voyager and Janeway, and you could probably start a small war with words like that. Taking all challengers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment