Friday, April 1, 2011

/co/



I made this shirt for myself, custom. Printed and and cut it myself, I had to have my mom help with the ironing. >_>
A few years ago I started browsing this one website and really liked hanging around the comics & cartoons section of it. Since the site doesn't have its own merchandise I had to make it myself if I wanted some. They already had a semi-established logo/symbol so all I had to do was redraw it in high res, print, cut and iron. I could have had it printed from CafePress or some other company but that's way more expensive. I have been using iron-on paper to make my own creations since early middle school. I chose to do this one myself because I had to have it on a dark shirt and most professional companies couldn't yet do that. You can't actually buy these, but I may make more at some point. There are two sister shirts to this one that say "/co/ productions" instead and I handed them out a convention a few years back.
The shirt itself was from Target, I bought it in a pack of 5 or so. They had black, but this mottled dark grey looked a bit cooler, especially since the logo itself is basically shades of grey. The fabric is not too heavy, not too light, and it seems durable enough -the iron on is going to wear off before the shirt gets screwed up-. That however is my big problem, with any sort of iron on textile it has a death date. Basically the number of washes that it can handle before it becomes unreadable. This particular shirt is on about its 6th wash or so, I try not to wear it unless the situation calls for it.
One of the reasons I chose to make this shirt by hand was because the design is so easy. We have a floating city with a propeller and the letters "/co/" at its base. So the description is easy, now let me explain. On this board there are many many little sections: photography, anime, video games, etc. /co/ represents the Comics & Cartoons board. The flying city specifically represents this particular group hovering over all the others because they feel that it's content/users are superior.
I made this very specifically for this board and I want to wear it where people will recognize it. Especially since it wears out quickly I only choose the most opportune times to don it. These would include comic book conventions -like San Diego/Long Beach Comic-Con, WonderCon and Wizard World-, taking pictures of it to post online, or to the board's real life meet ups.

There have been a couple awesome moments in the short life of this shirt. Firstly, was when I made a few shirts -including this one- just before WonderCon three or four years ago. I wore this when wandering about the vendors hall, I gave a shirt to anyone who recognized the icon and grabbed my attention, it was only a few people but it was still awesome to meet some "/co/mrades" as they're called. The other time has been more of a reoccurring thing. Some resourceful users put out a call for Southern California members to meet up at a place called Frank & Son's. I wore this on our initial meeting and I'd like to think it helped with that first impression and recognition. Since then, the group has grown greatly; with a meet up every month or so. Though the Facebook pics we take are a better representation of us than this shirt is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment