Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sinestro Corps

After wanting DC Comics to license this design for a long time I bought it for myself once I saw it at retail.
Day two of my Green Lantern themed shirts continues. Since convention season has begun, and I am almost out of new shirts, I've decided to wear all of my different Green Lantern universe themed ones back to back. I picked this one up from the "t-shirt guys" -as I like to call them- at Frank and Son's. They're actually a different booth than I got the previous shirt from, just in the same building. They sell all kinds of different comic book and pop culture shirts, and everything is officially licensed -as far as I know-. The company that manufactures it is called Graffiti and they produce the best comicbook tees out there.
https://ubu-unlimited.com/
For some reason it took a really long time for anyone to make a shirt like this. The character that it's based off of has been around for years so I can only assume that he wasn't yet popular enough. Before this was available, people were making their own and selling them online. Those had slightly better designs but were unofficial, more expensive, and used worse materials. You can get this one at almost any LCS -Local Comicbook Store- or online.
http://www.graphittidesigns.com/shop/SINESTRO-CORPS-SYMBOL-BLACK-T-Shirt.html
I waited for the real one to come out so that I could support the company -since I pirated most of their comics at the time- and because the quality was better. I would have preferred a shirt that was more like the costume in the comics but you take what you can get. In fact, this was the first version of this shirt, and I think it is the best. The others came out afterward, one has a yellow shirt instead of black -which few of the characters wore all yellow-, or had the word "FEAR" behind it on a black background, which looks lame because you should already know the reference and I don't like pandering to casuals. The fabric is great and, even though I've had it for several years, the ink hasn't worn, broken, or anything.
Like the shirt before it, and as all great super hero shirts should be, the design is simple and to the point. The image is the Yellow Lantern corps symbol -the Sinestro Corps-. Originally, it was just one man named Sinestro and his yellow power ring. But eventually he gained power and, like the guardians of the Green Lantern energy, he created an entire armies worth and recruited just as many soldiers to fight for his cause: Keeping order in the galaxy though Fear. Their oath is similar to the Green Lantern's with a twist:

In blackest day, in brightest night,
Beware your fears made into light
Let those who try to stop what's right,
Burn like my power... Sinestro's might!
Back when the Sinestro Corps War was in full swing and the skies raged with light this was my prime comic book shirt. I got it as soon as it was available so that I could show off that I was in the know without much competition. I had a lot of fun explaining to people Sinestro's rise to power Hal Jordan's return and the pending war of light. If you have been reading through all these posts you should have an insight as to the overthinking and crazy quasi-hipster wannabe tactics that go into my daily shirt selection and overall persona.

In this day and age, when people see a graphic tee that they don't recognize they usually ignore it. This method follows the guide, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." But if you don't ask you'll never find out about the amazing, galactic, space opera that took place. I don't think I've ever instilled any fear with this shirt -except for this pic maybe- but I know I've told the story and inspired a few who have joined the yellow light.

No comments:

Post a Comment